Chapter 57:Desent in to madness

Third POV

Thor stood in the briefing room with Agent Coulson who he had met the man back in New Mexico

Thor stood in the briefing room with Agent Coulson who he had met the man back in New Mexico. To say that they got off on the wrong foot was putting it nicely but Thor had made his apologies and so had Coulson, making them at ease with each other. The men were staring at a monitor that had a file on Jane Foster which included a resent photo of her. Thor looked down at the photo of the woman he loved, wishing that he could go to her and protect her from everything that was happening.

"As soon as Loki took the doctor, we move Jane Foster. We've got an excellent observatory in Traunsee. She was asked to consult there, very suddenly yesterday. Handsome fee, private plane, very remote. She'll be safe," Coulson told the worried Norse god.

"Thank you. It's no accident Loki taking Erik Selvig, I dread what he plans for him once he's done. Erik is a good man," Thor said, worry filling his voice as he thought about what is going on inside his brothers head and what he had planned for the tesseract.

"He talks about you a lot," Coulson told him. "You changed his life. You changed everything around here."

"They were better as they were," Thor admitted. "We pretend on Asgard that we're more advanced, but we... we come here battling like bilchsnipe."

"Like what?" the agent asked, not knowing what the Norse god was referring to.

"Bilchsnipe? You know, huge scaly, big antlers. You don't have those?"

"Don't think so."

"They are repulsive, and they trample everything on their path," Thor mused, walking over to the side of the helicarrier so he could look down at the world he loved.

The Norse god couldn't help but think that what was happening on Midgard was partly his fault. If only he hadn't treated Loki the way he did when they were younger, if he had only treated him with kindness instead of teasing, maybe they wouldn't be in the position that they were in now.

"When I first came to Earth, Loki's rage followed me here and your people paid the price. And now again. In my youth I courted war," Thor began to say before Nick Fury spoke over him.

"War hasn't started yet. You think you can make Loki tell us where the tesseract is?" Fury asked, walking over to the Norse god.

"I do not know. Loki's mind is far afield, it's just not power he craves, its vengeance upon me. There is no pain that would prize his need from him."

"A lot of guys think that, until the pain stops," Fury explained to Thor, partly from experience.

"What are you asking me to do?"

"I'm asking, what are you prepared to do?"

"Loki is a prisoner," Thor said, unsure at what the man was angling at.

"Then why do I feel like he's the only person on this boat that wants to be here?"

Thor doesn't answer the man standing next to him, instead continued to look out the window.