Chapter 59: The fallout

I followed Fury on to the bridge, feeling numb with Phil's blood still covering me

I followed Fury on to the bridge, feeling numb with Phil's blood still covering me. Looked up to see that Steve and Tony were already waiting. They both looked like they had been to hell and back. Steve had stripped off the top part of his uniform, leaving him in just a fitted long sleeved blue top. He looked tired and worn down with a look of disappointment on his face. Next to him, Tony looked bloody and bruised. If he looked that bad, I hated to think what he Iron man suit looked like.

I walked over and sat next to Steve as Fury threw a hand full of cards on the table. When I looked closer at them, I noticed that they were Phil's Captain America trading card and they were covered in his blood. I looked away as I buried my face into Steve's chest, not wanting to see another reminder of Phil's death.

"These were in Coulson's jacket. Guess he never did get you to sign them."

Steve leant over the table, keeping one arm around me as he picked up one of the cards

Steve leant over the table, keeping one arm around me as he picked up one of the cards. I quickly glance over at the card he is holding to see that it has the photo from Steve's USO tour on it. Blood overed the top corner of it and had run down on to the shield that Steve was holding in the photo.

"We're dead in the air up here," Fury said, the mask of indifference firmly back in place. "Our communications, location of the cube, Banner, Thor. I got nothing for you. Lost my one good eye. Maybe I had that coming."

Fury stops for a second, thinking about something before continuing his speech.

"Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the tesseract," he admitted. "But I never put all my chips on that number though, because I was playing at something even riskier. There was an idea, Stark knows this, called THE AVENGERS INITIATIVE. There was an idea to bring together a group of remarkable people, see if they could become something more. See if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles that we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea, in heroes."

Tony suddenly stood up and stormed of the bridge, not wanting to hear anymore. Fury watched him walked out and sighed, knowing that he had probably lost the little respect Tony had in him.

"Well, it's an old-fashioned notion."

Knowing what I had to do, I stood up and walked over to Maria who was standing behind Fury. I handed her the USB and picked up two of the tablets on the desk next to her.