Chapter 50: Misbehaving

Third person POV

Third person POV

Nick Fury walked into a top-secret SHIELD facility with a determined look on his face, closely followed by Maria Hill after they dropped off by a helicopter. As he walked into the building, he hoped that the team stationed at the location were over reacting and there was nothing wrong with the tesseract. The last thing he wanted was for Dr Kimberly Rogers to find out that he was still in the possession of the Asgardians artefact, he hadn't had to deal with her directly since she and Steve Rogers had moved to New York three months ago and he wanted to keep it that way. Even though he hadn't technically lied to her about the location of the tesseract, he didn't like the idea of facing down an angry demigod and her super soldier husband.

Phil Coulson was waiting patiently for both Director Fury and Commander Hill at the entry of the facility. He cringed a little when he saw the look on the Directors face, nothing good ever came from that look. Usually someone would end up being yelled and most time it was Coulson who was on the receiving end of the director's outburst.

"How bad is it," Fury asked without even stopping to great one of his most loyal agents.

"That's the problem, sir," Coulson said, trying to hide the worry from his voice. "We don't know."

The director and the two agents made their way through the facility, passing fleeing SHIELD technicians who were carrying anything that was deemed as essential out of the building.

"Dr. Selvig read an energy surge from the tesseract four hours ago," Coulson informed his superior, walking quickly to keep up with the man.

"NASA didn't authorise Selvig to test phase B," Furry snapped, clearly annoyed by the situation.

"He wasn't testing it; he wasn't even in the room. It was a spontaneous advancement," Coulson said quickly, trying to protect his friend from Fury's anger.

"It just turned itself on?" Hill asked, sounding more than a little concerned.

"What are the energy levels?" Fury asked, not even acknowledging his second in charge.

"Climbing. When Selvig couldn't shut it down, we ordered evac," Coulson told the pair, partly to try to ease Agent Hills concern.

"How long to get everyone out?"

"Campus should be clear in the next half hour."

Fury stopped to look at the loyal agent that he had known for over a decade, he knew that Coulson was doing the best he could but he needed everyone to do more.

"Do better."

Coulson turned walked in the opposite direction to give the orders for the evacuation to move at a faster pace as Fury and Hill continued deeper into the facility. The pair didn't take note of the fleeing agents that passed them, only focusing on the problem on hand that was the tesseract.