Chapter 38: Expect the unexpected

Two months had passed since the wedding and I was still getting used to being called Mrs Kimberly Rogers, or should I say Agent Rogers in the case of Col

Two months had passed since the wedding and I was still getting used to being called Mrs Kimberly Rogers, or should I say Agent Rogers in the case of Col. Phillips. Steve and I had a couple of days off after the wedding, then it was back to tracking down the Hydra bases. Steve and the Howling Commandos had taken down another base, leaving only Schmidt's main base. The only problem was we had no idea where it was.

It seemed no matter how hard we tried to find the location, the more impossible it seemed. We had hundreds of surveillance photos from all over Europe and not a single one showed any possible locations. Peggy and I had been up to all hours of the night just looking for the smallest sign and we were starting to get frustrated.

"This is completely useless!" Peggy said as she threw down the bunch of photos she was holding.

"I think it's time to call it a night before we both go insane."

Peggy looked up from the pile of paperwork and photos in front of her and smiles.

"I think your right Kimberly, I'm starting to see double of everything."

When Peggy and I stood up to leave, I stumbled back slightly as I become light headed. Before I fell over, Peggy grabbed hold of my arm and helped me get steady on my feet. When I look over at her, there was a concerned look etched on her face.

"Kimberly, are you feeling ok. You have been looking a bit pale all week and now you're getting light headed. You're not coming down with something are you?" she asked as she started fussing around me.

"Peggy, I'm fine. I'm pale because I can't remember the last time I went outside and I'm light headed because I've been in a dark room looking over hundreds of photos for the whole day. I just need a break and so do you," I told her as I pushed her out the door and started to walk towards the living quarters.

"You can't blame me, you are my best friend," she told me as she wrapped an arm around me as we walked.

"I know and I promise that I will get some sleep," I told her as we stopped outside the door to my room, where I could hear Steve snoring softly.

Peggy smiled when she heard Steve snoring, both of us have been trying to get him to sleep more as he had been so focused on stopping Schmidt. She quietly mouthed good night before tip toeing past my room so she didn't wake him up. I quietly opened the door and walked in to the room. I couldn't help but smile when I looked over at Steve, he looked completely relaxed. Something that he hadn't been in a while.

 Something that he hadn't been in a while