Chapter 60: The battle of New York begins

Third person POV

Third person POV

When the people of New York saw Tony Stark flying through the sky, they didn't think twice of it. It was a regular thing to see the billionaire flying all around the city, he used the suit for things as small like going to get a cup of coffee. The fact that no one paid any attention to him worked in his favour. The last thing he wanted to do was worry people if he didn't need to. He was still hoping that they could end the fight before it could begin.

After watching the footage from Kimberly confronting Loki on the helicarrier, Tony hoped that there would be some way to get through to the god. But he really didn't want to think about what was going to happen if they couldn't because it wouldn't end well. If Barton was anything to go by, that scepter Loki had was a powerful weapon and could do a lot of damage.

When he reached Stark Tower, Tony saw Dr. Selvig active the machine holding tesseract that would the portal that would let in the Chitauri.

"Sir, I took off the arc reactor. The device is already self-sustained," Jarvis informed his creator.

Absolutely perfect, Tony thought to himself as he flew over to where Dr. Selvig was standing on the roof.

"Shut it down, Dr. Selvig."

"It's too late! It can't be stopped now. He wants to show us something! A new universe!" Selvig told him, too far gone under the control of the scepter to be reached.

"Okay."

Tony flew a little higher and fired at the machine from his boosters. The energy from the booster rebounded off the energy coming from the machine with a deafening crack. The blasted sent Selvig flying back and caused him to hit his head. On the street below, people look up at where the blast came from and start to become worried. Tony stares at the machine in shock, the blast didn't even make a mark on the machine.

"The barrier is pure energy. It's unbreachable," Jarvis informs him, as Tony heads down to the penthouse to remove his damaged suit. "The Mark VII is not ready to be deployed."

"Skip the spinning rims. We're on the clock," Tony snapped, not wanting to have to deal with the AI's worry.

The moment Tony landed, he walked through the gauntlet starts to remover his suit. Noticing the Iron Man's arrival, Loki looks up and smiles. The two men with egos to match each other's walked towards each other, ready to confront the other at any moment.

As Tony walks down the penthouse steps towards the bar, he notices that Loki is holding the scepter and make a mental note to stay away from the weapon.