Chapter 22

Songs for the Chapter : Stay by senobey sey

Wonder by Shawn Mendes.
Koonch by Nabeel Shaukat Ali.
one of my favorites Kho Gaye hum kahan by Jasleen Royal.

* * * *

Shehnaaz was standing in the middle of her room, holding the last thing left to pack. It was a painting, the last painting her sister had painted. She runs her finger along the rose gold framing, her crimson red painted nails running on the light dust, revealing an intricate and complicate design on the silver surface. The composition of the painting is bittersweet.

The painting was all in bright oils but somehow it still leaves a sense of melancholia, it was a scene of a yellow double story house with grey bricked slanted roof, an oak tree in front of it, with different blobs of colors scattered around giving an illusion of pink, blue and yellow blossoms.

Her eyes fills with tears as she remembers her sister's smiles as she dreamed about living in a house like this. It is both stunning and heart-ache inducing, it's like a novel condensed onto a single page, with each idea given time and space to be expressed, to communicate the meaning that was inside its creator.

She puts the painting in one of the cardboard box, then she suddenly started looking around the room, again unpacking and packing the boxes, like she was looking for something, but she felt frustrated as she couldn't reach the thing she was looking for.

Arjun and Anita climbed up the stairs with two mugs of coffee, he dodges a box full of books as they come around and in front of Shehnaaz's room, they frown as they saw her on the end of the bed, curled in on herself amid the bustle and boxes and packing paper. Arjun then put the coffee on the floor beside her as they both knelt beside her.

"What's the matter? What happened?" Anita asked stroking a thumb along her cheek, finding it wet with tears.

"I couldn't find it." she said with trembling lips, and they both look at each other in confusion.

"What couldn't you find?" He asks, she wipes the tears and answers, "I couldn't find my mug."

"You.... Couldn't find your mug?!" He asks incrudeously at her sister's behavior, she nods at him.

"Shehnaaz, it's moving day. Did you forget? We packed your mug last night." Anita says stroking her hair soothingly.

"I know." She said as if they were the idiot here.

"Okay." he said slowly and sat beside her while putting an arm around her shoulder. He was idiot here apparently because he could not fathom why was he so upset over a mug she herself packed happily last night. Anita too embraced her from other side.