thirteen. Something isn't right

"Heather!" "Could you not yell? My head is killing me." She groaned sitting at the kitchen island, a mug glued to her hand. "Not surprising. You were wasted last night." He chuckled as he walked over to her looking at her seriously. "What do you even want?" "The burn on Courtney's neck is a bruise. Not a burn. I was looking at it last night when she wasn't paying attention. Do you think you know where it could have came from?" The girl's expression changed into one he couldn't really decipher as she looked up at the rapper. "No.. I don't think so. She lied to me... something isn't right." "What isn't right?" The two turned to see her walking over to them. "This coffee! Alejandro doesn't make it right." Courtney eyed them for a second before she laughed loudly. "She is so picky!" Heather shook her head fake laughing turning back towards Duncan, who motioned towards the singer's neck subtly. "Well, I have a rap to write so... I'll leave you two alone." The two waved him off before he was out of their sight. The raven haired guy taking a seat on the steps to keep within earshot of the conversation.

"Can I see your burn? Hopefully it started healing by now." A raised eyebrow was Courtney's reaction to her best friend's question as she took a step back. "It hasn't. I was thinking of going out today and buying aloe vera for it." The raven haired heiress nodded as her face twisted into confusion. "So why can't I look at it?" The brunette hesitated before leaning on the island counter so Heather could inspect the bruise. "Remember you told me this wasn't important." Her dark eyes left the dark mark to peek at Courtney's onyx eyes. "Yeah.. cause it wasn't." "Then why don't I believe you?" A eerie silence took over the room as Courtney slowly backed away from the counter. "Did someone do this to you?" The singer opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out as her best friend persisted, getting up from her seat. "Was it Scott?" Duncan's dark eyebrows raised at the mention of the boyfriend. His tattooed fist clenched unintentionally, at the thought. He probably was the guy on the phone yesterday. "No! I-It wasn't Heather! Just drop it." Hearing her footsteps approach made him stand up. "Hey, I'm heading to some shops. Wanna come with? We can work on the song more.." "Sure, I'll meet you outside."

~

"Oh my god! That is hilarious! Is it on YouTube, it has to be.." The singer covered her mouth with her tattooed hand as she laughed loudly, walking down the lively carribean street. "What if i told you it wasn't.. a mama Nelson exclusive?" "I'll pay her for it!" The two laughed again at Courtney's outburst as Duncan peaked at her bruise. "So... about last night I am sorry. I shouldn't have snatched your phone like that, it doesn't ma-" "You're good. Don't mention it, and please don't let it happen again. We're here." She announced offering him a smile as she grabbed two stems of the Aloe Vera plant. The Italian grabbed a small basket before handing the vendor a ten dollar bill holding the basket out for the short latina. "Why did you just pay?" He shrugged turning to face her as she put the plants in the basket and they began to walk again. "I don't know. Just felt like being nice to you for once." Silence fell between them again before they started to laugh again. "Good one, rap god."

~

The two sat on beach chairs behind the villa, their feet in the sand, her songbook snug in Courtney's hand as she hummed a melody. The rapper sat opposite to her, just holding a pen. He was slightly nodding his head to the imaginary beat of the melody the singer hummed. "You're sure to see stars this is high level, not eye level. My bezel courtesy of Audemars, i order yours tomorroe and look at the time i saved ya.." "Baby let me upgrade ya!" Her onyx eyes widened in excitement, as she sat up in her seat looking at Duncan. "Oh my god! Upgrade You, that can be the song. And was that a freestyle? Cause that was amazing!" A smile fell upon the rapper's lips as he nodded in agreement, his focus on the singer. "I like it, and yeah thanks Courtney. Nice of you to finally pay me a compliment." Leaning closer to him the girl sent him a teasing wink before she giggled. "Just felt like being nice to you for once."