Chapter 4: The Lover's Dilemma

2:40 p.m., in Keyaki Mall, 2nd Floor, cafe.

I was with Satou, Matsushita-san, and Shinohara-san in the cafe. How did it come to this? Earlier, I was only with Satou. It might sound weird, but somehow, after I told her about my relationship with Kiyotaka, we kinda got closer; no, we really got closer.

"A shared secret strengthens relationships," she thought while letting out a faint smile.

Just as I was saying, I was only with Satou earlier. As we were talking about various 'girl-topics', she got a message via chat. The message of course came from one of her friends. I don't really know if it's Shinohara-san or Matsushita-san, but it came from one of them.

"...Karuizawa-san, is it fine for Shinohara-san and Matsushita-san to come join us?"

"It's fine"

If I was talking to someone else, I would've worded it a bit rude; but right now, I'm talking to Satou, someone whom I magically grew closer to.

"But...Ayanokouji-kun...?" she said, keeping her voice low when stating his name.

So she was worried about that. I did remember her telling me that she voiced her suspicions to them...when it was still a suspicion.

"...Well, if they do open that topic, I won't really be surprised. I'm sure I can handle it."

"If you say so."

A few minutes later, they arrived. She looked at her phone which showed the time—2:40 p.m., whilst looking at her phone, she realized that she'd got lots of notifications from chat groups, but she ignored all of them.

"Karuizawa-san?" Matsushita said. They were surprised to see Karuizawa with Satou.

"Ah. I forgot to message you, but I was with Karuizawa-san since earlier this afternoon."

⟡ ⟡ ⟡

Right after they ordered coffee, they then sat down on the seats nearest to Satou. For some reason, they seem to be giving Satou glances, but she didn't notice.

Karuizawa furrowed her eyebrows, unable to understand what that was all about, but she felt like they're having a hard time opening a topic to Satou.

"So...It's Golden Week tomorrow, yeah?" It was Satou who broke the awkward atmosphere, but Karuizawa thinks she was oblivious of it.

"Y—yeah."

After the initial exchange, the normal chats and banters just naturally happened; but, it didn't last long.

"What!" Matsushita let out a strong voice of disbelief.

"?"

"Ah. Nothing, it's—"

"Hmm?" Satou, who was sitting right beside her, was intrigued, and so she looked at the phone Matsushita was looking at. It was a news feed of a certain browser. She only saw a fleeting glimpse of it, but she definitely saw someone's name—Ayanokouji.

"Ayano...Kouji?...In the news?!" Satou said.

"Wha—"

Kiyotaka? In the news? Why is he on the news? Just how awesome can he get? Mou! I'm starting to get flustered. I really, really need to hide it somehow.

"Ah. That fast runner who got full marks on Math? Yeah?" she started a gossip to bring back her composure.

"Y—yeah."

"Maybe it's just someone with the same name?"

"No, it's...really him."

How can he be in the news? He's—