Chapter 13: The Human Heart

Author's Note:

Some weird fizzy internal-circuitry warfare is happening in my brain. I think many call it "writer's block". So sorry for the late update (and probably the next).

⟡ ⟡ ⟡

May 3rd. Holding camp. Room 3.

The size of the room was big. It was long but wasn't wide; it looked like a room-sized rectangular tube. By the left was the locked door with a sophisticated locking-mechanism, and by the right was a long, transparent, reinforced glass that almost stretched as far as the wall allowed. The glass's base began a few inches below the midpoint of the wall's height.

Oddly, despite it looking like a rectangular bottle of sorts, it didn't feel constricted. It was wide enough to allow exaggerated movements; it was comfortable.

Ayanokouji, who was lying down on a bed, sat up after his initial thoughts (the fight and his experiment). He placed his fingers on top of the cut he received the previous night and felt the texture of a sterile pad.

This should seal in less than seven days: it was a bit shallow.

He then moved his hands lower, close to his cheek.

There should be dry blood somewhere around here. Did they clean it? I don't really need protection from infections really, but I also don't like some dry blood to be left here.

"Haah." With a sigh, he looked at the reinforced glass where he sensed the presence of someone since earlier. Behind was a female in her late 20s sitting on a chair.

She had a middle-length blonde hair of slight curliness. The base area of it was blackish, which hinted that the blonde color wasn't natural. She had an elegant bearing and gave off an aura of someone congenial. She was slightly smiling and gentle to look at. Though it wasn't clear for someone inside the room, her legs were crossed, evident from the extension of her arms, which seemed to be holding something.

Perhaps a pad holder, she looks like a psychiatrist.

Then a voice with a mixture of brightness, friendliness, and gravity echoed within the room. She spoke with her words amplified by the speakers installed.

"Hello, Ayanokouji."

"...Hi."

"I'm Kyoko. I'll be coming here from time to time, so let's get to know each other."

"Mm."

This room is cold, this increases the anxiety of normal people, feels more like an interrogation than counseling. But her tone says otherwise, and they won't get anything new from me other than the perspective from someone inside the White Room. Regardless, I'm not doing anything that protects me; I will answer everything honestly...or maybe not.

"You...find this place ok?"

"Yes."

"You don't feel any discomfort on the wound, do you?"

"No."

"That's good to hear."—she paused and leaned forward—"Ayanokouji, do you know why you're here?"

"...Yes."

"Is there anything you'd like to say? Feel free to voice them out."

"Nothing, really."

"Can you tell me how your life was at school?"

"Okay, I guess."

"Did you enjoy your time there?"

"...Yes."

"...I'm sorry that it was cut short, unfortunately. So, what do you like about it? About school, I mean."

"The people, I guess."

"What of the people?"

"It's not just people; rather, it's society. I get to see something new, something that I've never seen, something I was curious about."

"You were curious about society?"

"Yes. I was curious of the outside world; its rules, its people, and the things I wouldn't know if I was in the White Room."

"And what's your take on society? Having experienced it and all."

"It's...evil."

"What makes you say that?"

Ayanokouji closed his eyes for a moment as if reminiscing of past events. Then, he began to speak.

"People are selfish, they act in accordance to what they want. Place everyone in a fish tank then you have a tank full of fishes that don't share their food."

What is good?—Whatever augments the feeling of power, the will to power, power itself, in man. What is evil?—Whatever springs from weakness. What is happiness?—The feeling that power increases—that resistance is overcome. Friedrich Nietzsche's definition of evil, especially when the context is taken, would definitely cause waves of anger. From his definition of good and evil, my answer—at least for me—should've been good: society is very exploitable, easy to manipulate. However, I doubt people would label the things I've said as good.

"The first time I came to school. No, before I arrived at school, I already saw a glimpse of a dysfunctional and wretched society, that view didn't change up until now—people not caring of others who needed help; the superficial on-and-off friendship ticket used when the so-called friends needed something from you; people forcing others to act on their own selfish desires...power, lust, money, fame; the strong, the privileged, the one on top looks down and preys on the weak."—I saw all of it; I saw all of it. However, I was the best at it; I'm the worst of all. I am the worst—"Nothing was different, I thought I would see something different; but, even in the outside world, evil prevails."

The only thing different was that I should've felt the happiness Friedrich talked about, but I didn't. I don't feel anything.

Her eyes widened with his lengthy explanation and his apparent display of disgust (not taking his thoughts into account) on society. She was about to say something but was interrupted. "Y—"

"But then, there's still goodness left in patches amidst the darkness."

And I don't have it.

"Can you...tell me, of this goodness you speak of?"

"The human heart."

⟡ ⟡ ⟡

May 1st, Ayanokouji's dorm room.

Against the wall was the figure of a couple kissing with a hint of sadness. They continued for moments longer, and further.

After such a scene, their lips parted, but only for a moment. Karuizawa leaned against Ayanokouji's chest whilst her hands traversed his back. She could no longer see his tearful face. He leaned forwards, further obscuring his tears from her. Then, he wiped off the tears underneath each of his eyes, one eye at a time. One eye at a time...

Author's Note:

🎶 The feelings I caught, the time that I lost...So I bloody the rain on your pity parade🎶 -StéLouse ft. Bryce Fox. (Get it? Well, that's just a hint and probably wrong)

This is the author, I am a KiyoKei fan (or simp) so please, please, please have mercy. *Runs away avoiding KiyoKei eggplants*

On a serious note, there's still more planned chapters to come (including the cause of her scar), so...maybe...