Chapter 7: Checkmate

May 1st, about 4:00 p.m., in Ayanokouji's dorm room.

Ayanokouji abruptly ended the call after Karuizawa's shocking words: "You're in the news," she muttered with suppressed tears. For a few seconds, he was reminiscing of what he could've done, pointless thoughts considering it already happened.

Perhaps...the defeat that I so desired, is right around the corner....

"Haah," he sighed, dispersing such meaningless thoughts for a man of his kind. "News, huh."

He took out his phone and began gathering information.

⟡ ⟡ ⟡

May 1st, 4:00 p.m. in Housen's dorm room

Housen was sitting on a couch in his dorm room. His elbows were leaning on top of the upper edges, and his crossed feet were placed on top of the random materials that were stacked and placed a few distances away from him. Despite how relaxed his pose was, his mind certainly wasn't. "Ayanokouji...fuck that guy," he said, deeply annoyed. For countless hours at nights, he couldn't sleep: that monster from two days ago, the entirety of such events was vividly stored in his brain.

⟡ ⟡ ⟡

29th of April, in Advanced Nurturing High School. Nighttime, when most are in their respective dorms.

Drip...drip....

Drips of blood made puddles on the ground.

"...The hell...? Who the fuck are you...?" Those were the words of Housen. He was confused, shocked as to what Ayanokouji did. He let himself be stabbed by a knife. More precisely, he forced the knife to pierce his left hand. Blood squirted out uncontrollably; despite that, he didn't bother changing his apathetic expression.

Housen's blood was boiling. To think that there was a monster that wasn't him nor was it Ryuuen. He found someone worth his time....

⟡ ⟡ ⟡

Housen wasn't the type of person who can't live without checking his phone every minute. He wasn't aware of the events that took place. However...

"Will you shut up!" he yelled. He snatched his phone which was blaringly making dings since earlier.

Fucking phone.

If this was the normal him, he would've put the phone into silent mode since earlier, but his thoughts were deviating from his normal, reminiscing the events of that night.

Swipe....Tap...

"Huh?"

His interest was piqued. 'Ayanokouji'—the word his eyes first set on was relevant to what was causing him such restlessness.

Tap. Without much thought, he simply tapped the bluish text he saw right below the name.

⟡ ⟡ ⟡

Time Unknown, in a deep chamber within the depths of the White Room.

Some lab science shit?

Awfully disturbing were the wildly-pulsating ridges of veins buried within the skin and the flesh. Awfully creepy were the sudden, quick jolts of the jointed parts. The phlegm-like substances running along the lineations of their pained faces. It was—deranging. Worst of all, all of them were youngsters.

The chamber was filled with lethal aerosol substances. It was thick, it was heavy; it was coarse, it was crazed; it was painful, it was—killing.

"Ha. Hahaha. Hahahahahahaha!" he laughed uncontrollably, "this is fucked up. Heh!...I wanna see more of 'em."