45

Imagine it's valentines day and since you're both single, you decided to go for a hot drink at your favourite cafe with your bestfriend, Johnny

But, you don't see him as a bestfriend, in fact, recently, you've started seeing something different. It only started with little things. The way you would blush at his compliments or when he looked at you a little too long, the way your stomach would flutter slightly when you saw him even down to the way he said your name. And now, as you sit across the table from him, you can't help but wish this was an actual valentines date.

"To another year of being single and another Valentine's day with no date." Johnny lifts his mug up to clank with yours and your mugs meet in the middle.
"Cheers." You say simultaneously, John more enthusiastic than you.
"Y'know I could never understand why neither of us has ever had a valentines. We're both quite a catch." John waggles his eyebrows jokingly.
"Hmm, yeah." You nod, forcing a smile.
He looks at you, cocking his head to the side. "You okay Y/N/N? You're not actually upset about being single today are you?" His eyebrows furrow with concern.
"No, of course not. I'm fine." You say quickly, this time putting more effort into your smile, hoping to trick Johnny into believing you. And it works. He nods once, before smiling and taking a sip of his drink, gazing into the distance.

A drink later, John's gone back to talking about Valentines and dating. "Y/N, have you ever wanted to ask anyone to be your valentine?"
You grimace because you have wanted to ask someone, him. "I guess so, yeah."
"Then why have you never asked anyone?" He asks, leaning forward in his seat, looking at you in confusion.
"Because I know they would say no and it's better to save myself the embarrassment and hurt of rejection." A blush creeps up your cheeks as you shrink back in your seat under his gaze.
"You don't know that though."
"I do."
"No," He shakes his head. "You don't."

Silence stretches across the space between you before John speaks again.
"Well, did you want to ask someone this year? It's not too late."
You nod warily, anxious to hear the next inevitable question.
"Who is it?"
This time you shake your head, worried if you speak you'll expose your secret.
"Aw, c'mon Y/N. It's only me. You know you can tell me anything."
"Not this." You refuse.
His face scrunches up in an attempt of a pleading face.
"Please."
"No."
"Please."
"No."
"Please."
"No."
"Please."

This goes on until you can feel yourself getting more and more annoyed. Until you snap, the incessant questioning becoming too much.
"IT'S YOU OK?" You shout, feeling eyes on you as you stand up and grab your things. John's mouth makes an 'o' shape as he's suddenly lost for words. "Yeah Johnny, it's you. I like you. Happy now?"
Before you take off, you wait, hoping that he'll say something. Anything. But he doesn't, so you storm out the cafe without another word, tears streaming down your face and the door slamming behind you.

Authors note:
hiii!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR OVER 40K READS!! YOU GUYS ARE INCREDIBLE I LOVE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU <33

also there will be a part two to this, coming out tomorrow... hopefully ?!
and yes I was once again unorganised and unmotivated and didn't have this ready for Valentine's Day like I was going to so sorry 😚✌️

hope you enjoyed! if you did feel free to leave a comment and/or vote! thanks for reading❤️