43

Imagine it's the morning of John's 18th birthday

Imagine it's the morning of John's 18th birthday. You were going to stay the night in Lauren's room in order to wake up early to make him a cake but your boyfriend was having none of that, insisting you spent the night with him watching his favourite movies. Of course, you couldn't tell him the reason you needed to stay in Lauren's room was because you want the cake to be a surprise. So you agreed to watch movies with him until you both fell asleep cuddling, hoping you'd wake up early enough without an alarm.

Luckily, you did manage to wake up early and now you're here. Lying in bed at 5am, debating the best way to leave the room without waking Johnny. You start by gently prising his arm from around your waist, careful not to make too big movements. As you do so, he groans slightly, making you think he's waking up. You stop moving, waiting to see what happens. Then, after making sure he's still sleeping, you slowly swing your legs over the side of the bed, before padding quietly out the room and down the stairs.

When you reach the kitchen, you breathe a sigh of relief that you made it without waking anyone. You glance at the clock and see you have at least a couple of hours before he wakes up which gives you plenty of time. Hurrying around the neat kitchen, you pull out equipment, ingredients and decorations from various places. Once you've gathered it all and double-checked you have everything you need, you begin baking.

Just over two hours later, Johnny's birthday cake sits on the counter in front of you. An object of beauty in the destruction around you. Spoons, bowls, icing bags, ingredients and more are scattered all over the cleanly surfaces. You have flour on your face and hair and blue icing down your apron. And despite all the mess you made, you're proud of the cake you've made and you really think he might like it. But you can't look at it forever because you've got cleaning to do.

A half hour goes by and the kitchen is back to the spotless condition that it was before. The only mess left is yourself and you'd rather not get back into bed looking like this, so you head upstairs for a shower, not before placing the cake in a cake box and hiding it in a cupboard.

After showering and putting your pjs back on (thankfully they survived the mess) you creep back to John's bedroom. The door creaks slightly as it opens but you see that Johnny doesn't stir. As soon as you slip back in to bed, an arm automatically wraps around your waist, pulling you closer. Following your cake making challenge, you're exhausted and quite happy to go back to sleep until the whole family awakes, ready to celebrate.

"Y/N," You jolt awake as John gently shakes you. "Morning baby."
"HAPPY 18TH BIRTHDAY BABY!" You shout, instantly coming out of your morning daze, as you throw your arms around him, tackling him back down. His laugh vibrates on your hair as he rests his head on top of yours.
"Thank you Y/N/N. I love you."
"I love you more old man."
"Hey!" He chuckles. "I'm not an old man...yet."
"But you are an adult now."
"Shhh don't remind me." He moves you a little in order to leave a short kiss on your lips.
"At least you can get your tattoo now." You whisper, your face still centimetres away from his.
"Mhm, I suppose that's a good thing, I must get around to booking an appointment for that." A small line appears on his forehead as he furrows his eyebrows in thought. You, on the other hand, try to keep a straight face because, little does he know, you've already booked his tattoo appointment for later on that day as part of your present to him.
Before you can give the game away, you move off of John, pulling him up with you. "C'mon, your family will be waiting."
"Ugh, okay then." He rolls his eyes as you continue to pull him up and take him downstairs.

Later on that morning, after opening presents and eating, you decide it's time to reveal the cake. Everyone else has seen it sneakily throughout the morning and assured you that he'll love it but you still find your stomach turning with nerves and the fear of him not liking it. Standing around the middle kitchen island, everyone's eyes are on you.
"What are we in here for?" Johnny asks, his eyes gleaming with excitement.
"I have a surprise for you." You smile at him as his eyes widen.
"Another one?" He asks, incredulous, he was so shocked when you revealed you'd booked his tattoo appointment for later on that day, he probably thought that was it. You simply nod and open the cupboard behind you, cautiously lifting the cake out.
Turning slowly around, you raise the cake slightly. "Ta da!" You say, your voice slightly shaking with nerves and the strain of holding the heavy cake.
"No way. Did you make that?" John asks, as he runs around the counter to get a closer look.
"Mhm. I did." You nod.
"Wow. That's incredible baby. Thank you so much." He takes the cake off you, placing it on the surface behind, before sweeping you into his arms and spinning you round. He puts you down, kissing you as he does so.
"You're welcome John." You can't contain your smile due to his happiness. But out of the corner of your eye, you spot something. "Oh shoot, I could've done that a bit better. I'm sorry." You move out of Johnny's arms as you point to the unnoticeable mistake. Your eyebrows are furrowed as you look at it, until John's head pops down into your vision, a grin still upon his face.
"Don't be stupid Y/N/N. It's perfect, I promise." You see everyone nodding in agreement which eases your disappointment in yourself.
"Come on then, let's put the candles on and sing so we can tuck into it! It looks delicious Y/N, I can't wait!" Mer nods encouragingly.
"Okay sure." So that's what you do.

The song goes on in an awful but sweet melody. There are smiles upon everyone's faces even when the sparkler goes crazy. "Make a wish!" Dale calls out as John thinks for a moment before blowing his candles out in one go.
"What did you wish for?" You ask.
"If I tell you, it won't come true." He shrugs, smirking.
"True." You reply, fake pouting slightly.
"Cake time." Lauren states, eyeing the cake greedily, until she realises we're all watching to which everyone reacts by laughing.

Authors note:
I was going to try and get this chapter up on johns bday but I was so busy that day and leading up to it with my ig and twt accounts and everything , so I'm really sorry I couldn't upload it on his actual birthday , also I changed the pic to one taken on his birthday anyways so I suppose it turned out fine !

I'm so glad John had a good day because he really did deserve it 🥺 I can't believe he's 18 now though , that's mad!!

oh and one more thing, there will be a part 2 to this <333

hope you enjoyed! if you did, feel free to leave a comment and/or vote! thank you so much for reading💕