48

Imagine you've been bestfriends with Johnny for longer than you can remember and today you're both hanging out with Hayden

As usual, Hayden's larking around making jokes and being silly, causing your loud laughter to echo around the room. John usually joins in but today he sits further away, much quieter than usual. When you notice this, your laughter comes to an abrupt end. "You ok John?"
"Yeah c'mon bro, cheer up." Hayden chimes in.
"I'm fine, just carry on doing whatever it is you're doing." He replies, his tone clipped and harsh.
Your eyebrows furrow in concern, he definitely doesn't seem fine and he never speaks like that.
Hayden however, doesn't seem to notice. "Suit yourself mate, looks like I get Y/N to myself then." He turns to you, winking, to which you return with a feeble smile, still worried about John.
"I expect you'd both like that." Johnny snaps, standing up and walking out onto the mini balcony. You and Hayden exchange confused glances as Hayden begins to stand up.
Placing a hand on Hayden's arm, you shake your head. "I'll go." Hayden nods in response.

When you get outside, you see Johnny leaning against the wall, one leg crossed over the other with his arms crossed in front of him too. He was looking out towards the garden but at the sound of your footsteps he turned to look at you. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be hanging out with your boyfriend?" He laughs a short, humourless laugh.
"John, what do you mean boyfriend?"
"Hayden. You two seem close. Do you like him?" The lack of emotion on his face is intimidating and you can feel yourself shrinking under his gaze.

But all the same, you stand your ground, shaking your head. "No, of course I don't. Not in the way you're implying anyway. Why are you so bothered?"
He shrugs, looking away. "Don't want to be a third wheel, I'd rather just be told when I'm in the way."
"What? You're not a third wheel and you could never be in the way. So stop being stupid and come back in." You cross your arms, raising an eyebrow at his sudden mood.
"Nah, I'm alright thanks."
You're about to just leave him but you try once more to get through to him. "I really don't see what your issue is. Nothing is happening between Hay and I and it's not like you like me anyways so I don't get what's going on?"

There's a silence whilst John looks like he's contemplating his next words. "How do you know I don't like you?"
"What?" You ask, confused.
"How do you know I don't like you?" He repeats.
"Because you're you and I'm me? And we've been best friends for years?" Your voice comes out shaky; unsure.
"You're wrong. I do like you." His voice softens slightly, his eyes becoming less harsh. "I just didn't want to tell you before and to be honest, I wasn't sure but seeing you and Hayden made me realise I was sure and that I needed to tell you."
"Oh John... you should have just told me so I could tell you that I liked you as well!" In fact, you'd been hoping this entire conversation that Johnny was just jealous, thinking you have an unrequited crush on your best friend isn't and hasn't been fun.
"Oh? You like me too?" He seems to think of his next words carefully, like he's about to say something big. "Ok." Is what he says, giving you a small smile, before moving past you and returning inside.
"Wha-" You begin to ask, but of course, he's already inside.

Authors note:
hey!! hope you're all doing well! love u all, thank u so much for all the support , over 60k reads and 1K votes is huge ! it means the world to me 🥰
and 100 followers too!!!

hope you enjoyed! if you did, feel free to leave a comment and/or vote! thank you so much for reading 💕💓