Chapter 2 - "You have to leave me."

Zavier

Zavier caught the flash of steel a breath before he twisted away. A strike of fire lanced up his arm as the blade missed his chest but sliced through his bicep. As the attacker swung again, a guard materialized in front of Zavier, raising his own sword to meet the other with a clash of metal.

Around Zavier, screams reverberated through the ballroom as nobles ran for safety. A hand grabbed him, yanking him away from the pandemonium.

"Hurry, Your Highness."

Zavier followed Joric, never looking to the throne dais, and the bodies splayed around it. Not because of sorrow or anger, but because of a spark of guilt he felt at the sight. As Zavier sprinted behind Joric, guards formed a barrier around him.

Nearing an archway, Jayis entered the protective circle, his white hair rumpled for the first time in Zavier's life. Despite his age, the advisor kept pace with the group.

But with each length gained, a guard broke away to block an attack and keep the assassin engaged. Each time a member entered the fray, Zavier hesitated, fingers aching for a weapon, blood pounding in his veins. Before he could join the guard, Jayis would shove Zavier's shoulder.

"Keep moving, Your Highness," the old man commanded.

By the time they made it to the archway, only Jayis and Joric remained with Zavier, the rest of the guard fighting for his life as well as their own. An attacker appeared out of nowhere and before Zavier could react, a dagger sailed through the air, flying towards his chest.

A sickening thunk made Zavier stagger back as Jayis fell against him, the blade buried in his advisor, just below his shoulder.

Joric roared with anger, cutting down the attacker with a swift stroke. Blood spilled out of the man's chest and Zavier hated the man for dying too quickly.

Seething with fury, Zavier clutched Jayis and backed into the archway, kicking a lounging room door open. As he entered, the heady scent of perfume and whiskey mixed with the sharp metallic scent of Jayis's blood and invaded Zavier's nose. Forcing bile back down his throat, he carried Jayis to a settee and laid him down.

The knife stuck out from below Jayis's collar bone, blood staining the shirt around it like a gruesome star. Zavier reached for the handle, but stopped, fearing the damage he would do taking it out. Was it worse to have it in? Why were his hands so red?

Afraid to do anything, but unable to do nothing, Zavier bunched the advisor's jacket around the blade, pressing down. Jayis grimaced.

Joric stormed into the room and gripped Zavier's shoulder.

"Your Highness, we have to leave."

Zavier shrugged off Joric's hand, never looking away from Jayis.

"We have to stop the bleeding. I can carry him out if you can lead the way."

Holding his gaze, Jayis took hold of Zavier's shirt.

"You have to leave me," he said.

"No. I will help you get out of here. We are both leaving."

Frustration kindled in Jayis's eyes as he shook Zavier's shirt. "You stubborn boy."

Zavier might have laughed if he hadn't felt the weakness in the gesture. A weakness that told him Jayis wouldn't be coming with him.

"You need to get out of here," Jayis said, still clinging to Zavier's shirt. "Sail to Loria. Tell your parents. You...you can still form an alliance and give aid."