Chapter 29 - "Try not to fall."

Alwyn

A cool early morning breeze infused with the scent of citrus, sand, and sea swirled through the streets of the city. A blue moon wavered in and out of clouds overhead. Tree branches whispered together, a soft melody. Alwyn followed Wilder through a narrow alley, her body tense and ready, despite the soothing atmosphere around them.

At the alley entrance, Wilder paused and peeked out. In a breath, he whirled around, pushing Alwyn further into the shadows and against the wall. He plastered himself next to her, his hand on her stomach, keeping her pinned. Alwyn held her breath as her heart spiked with adrenaline.

A trio of guards strolled by the alley, moonlight glinting off their spear tips. Their low conversation was filled with the harsh burr of the North Isles. A strange thought of how gentle Wilder's accent was in comparison flitted through Alwyn's mind.

Even when the guards walked out of sight, Wilder held her there. A minute passed. He nodded and dropped his hand. Alwyn almost forgot he'd had it there in the first place. They crept forward and Wilder peered around the building's edge. Despite their short partnership, Alwyn knew the street was clear by the way Wilder shifted his stance.

Right then she understood how others willingly followed him, not only did his voice command attention, but his entire body commanded it. She tried to think of how she held herself but all she could think of was how rigid with frustration she'd always been. She knew she was graceful with a sword but it seemed that had never translated over to authority.

Wilder darted into the street, Alwyn right behind him. They wove their way through the city slipping in and out of dark alleys, their footsteps syncing together, becoming one sound.

When they reached the bell tower at the heart of the city, Wilder slowed their pace. They eased out of the narrow lane, keeping to the shadows as they approached the tower. They crossed a courtyard, moonlight revealing them for a moment before they found sanctuary in the darkness again.

"Do I need to pick the lock?" Alwyn whispered.

Wilder shook his head. "No. It's left unlocked in case of emergency, but there will be a guard."

Wilder looked through the window. With a nod, he crept to the door and cracked it open. Alwyn heard the low whistle of a snore. They crept inside, spotting a guard asleep in his chair, a lantern illuminating the foyer of the tower. Wilder guided Alwyn to an archway across the room. She peered up but the lantern light couldn't penetrate the darkness above.

"Keep close to the wall," Wilder said.

Shaking away the cold dread that slithered into her veins over climbing into blackness, Alwyn touched the wall with her fingertips, brushed her other hand along the railing, and trailed behind Wilder.

The rough stone of the wall kept Alwyn grounded as they climbed higher and higher. There was nothing around them but the endless darkness. Even their boots scuffing against the stairs seemed to get lost.

Though Alwyn knew even a candle might have drawn attention, she still wished for even a glimmer of light, the dark oppressive. At least in the escape tunnel they'd had a torch, here there was nothing.

As Alwyn felt herself losing a sense of everything, Wilder spoke his voice reminding her she wasn't alone.

"Slow your pace," he said. "We're almost there and I don't want to crash into the trap door."

Alwyn let out a breath. "All right."

A moment later, Wilder stopped but it was sudden enough Alwyn bumped into him. She stumbled, her boot slipping on the step. Out of the blackness, Wilder snatched her arm pulling her back to him. She bumped against his chest, her heart panicking at the near disaster. She swallowed hard, feeling Wilder's racing heartbeat.