Chapter 20 - "Are you running away?"

Lydia

Irritation flared inside Lydia as another pin jabbed her head. She winced but the maid artfully and painfully arranging Lydia's hair didn't notice. Lydia stared at her reflection, watching as her wild mane of hair was tamed.

As the girl was finishing, the door to Lydia's rooms opened and a moment later Vienna walked into the washroom. In a pale pink gown, she looked ethereal. Her auburn hair was half pinned up and half loose, the thick waves spilling over her shoulders. Lydia looked away from her sister, she highly doubted Vienna felt the pain of the pins in her hair. It was rare for anything to hurt Vienna.

"You may go," Vienna said.

The maid curtsied and departed. Vienna replaced her behind Lydia, taking the final lock of Lydia's hair and securing it to her head. Lydia watched her sister's steady hands and calm expression. Was she really so calm? How could she be? Lydia wanted to tear off her dress and it wasn't even her betrothed she would meet tonight.

"Are you not nervous to meet Prince Zavier?" Lydia asked.

Vienna didn't respond right away, keeping her focus on inspecting Lydia's hair, making sure everything was perfect. Was that really concern for my hair that keeps her silent or hesitation? With Vienna one could never really tell, she had control. Lydia inwardly sighed. Unlike her.

Finally, Vienna met Lydia's gaze in the mirror. What Lydia saw in her eyes made her pause. There was a quiet light there, but not a light of apprehension but of excitement.

"I know it can seem strange to marry someone I don't know, but," she said a gentle smile coming to her lips. "I have an honor that many aren't given."

Lydia eyed her sister skeptically. "I know it's said Prince Zavier is handsome, but I can't say marrying him because of that would be called an honor."

Vienna laughed and it was a sound that spoke of a light, content heart.

"No," she said. "The honor is in being able to put thousands of lives before my own." She touched Lydia's hair. "It's an honor to know that this marriage alliance will be for the good of the kingdom. What greater honor is there than serving the people I love?"

I accept. Those words filled the room around Lydia. They were delivered with a strength that came from the voice of her sister. From the memory that she'd dreamed of the night before.

It was spoken for her father, who gave his life to serve his kingdom. For her mother, who had already walked this path, marrying a man she barely knew and becoming a great queen. For Corwin, who would have made a great leader. For Reen, who wanted to find better ways to help the people of the West Isles. For Vienna...who unflinchingly put the needs of the kingdom before her own.

Still, Lydia reminded herself to keep breathing. Even though she spoke the words, she wanted to steal them back. I'm sorry, I've made a mistake, I can't do it. I love someone else. I want to be with someone else.

Lydia didn't look behind her at Wilder. She couldn't because she knew what she would find: her heart breaking.

"Very well," King Thayer said. "Isla, when will you leave?"

"We'll leave with the evening tide."

"That doesn't give us much time to get all we need," Raif said.

"Then we should get moving."

The statement seemed to mark the end of the meeting as people began to rise. Lydia stood without realizing it. I accept. I accept. The words rang in her head, a death toll. She tried to banish the notion but over and over the words repeated. She needed air. She needed to get out of this room, away from the presence across the way. A presence she'd grown close to in the past weeks but now felt leagues away from her.