Chapter 21 - "Maybe that is the price of love."

Zavier

The hum of the docks flowed around Zavier, a sound he knew by heart. It was the sound of freedom to him. The sound he heard right as he was about to board a ship and sail away. The sharp tones of two men arguing. The rattle of wheels as a carriage passed by. The thud of a crate landing on top of another. The command of a captain to a reckless sailor.

He knew it all. But today it didn't hold the fondness he used to feel for it.

After sitting on a crate next to The Duke, waiting for Alwyn to appear, the sounds had worn on him. They all spoke of how he was anchored to this city, this shore.

Alwyn had left so quickly after the meeting that Zavier hadn't been able to talk to her. Knowing she would eventually make her way to her mother's ship, Zavier had gone to the harbor, planting himself near where The Duke was docked.

Crew members flowed on and off the ship, stocking up for the journey. None of them had bothered him. Joric had mentioned getting something to eat mid-day, but Zavier didn't feel like eating, his thoughts gnawing away at him.

Betrothed. Again. He knew, had known the second his father talked, what the outcome would be. Yet somehow it had been Lydia's 'I accept' that had made it all hit him. When he'd looked up, he hadn't seen Lydia, but Wilder standing just beyond her shoulder. He looked like he'd been run-through. Zavier knew the feeling.

Though this time it hadn't felt as shocking, it still hurt all the same. He hadn't been able to look at Alwyn. How could he? Yet again they were thrown into the same situation. Would she forgive him this time?

Last time it had taken him almost dying. If that was the case this time it would take his death for her to forgive him. At least if he were dead there would be no betrothal. Zavier almost laughed at the morbid thought.

But he thought of Lydia, a girl younger than him ready to do what needed to be done to help her kingdom. A girl willing to give up all she loved to do it. Somehow her stoic countenance shamed him. Without the alliance, she stood to lose more than she'd already lost. His sacrifice felt inconsequential in comparison.

He had to say goodbye to all he wanted. Again.

When the low sun backlit the taverns and hostiles, Alwyn finally appeared, a pack dangling from her shoulder. She didn't see Zavier right away. But when he stood, she stopped walking. They stood there, regarding each other. The breeze ruffled pieces of her blonde hair and fading light splayed shadows across her face. Flecks of rays lit her blue eyes. She was beautiful.

And she would never be his.

The harsh truth urged him to speak, to somehow bridge the divide. One that had always been there, they'd simply been foolish enough to ignore it.

"You are going to sail with your parents, then?" he asked.

Alwyn shifted the strap of the pack and edged towards him.

"Yeah, she thinks it will be a good time to relearn a few things. She hired someone to watch over the Sea Siren. Our whole crew will join the trip." She cleared her throat. "They can learn how a real crew operates."

"That should help," Zavier said. "Yasmine and Dempsey are new to the whole sailing situation."

"Yeah," Alwyn said, gazing at the ship and the crew bustling about. "Also I don't think Cyrus couldn't go without seeing Yasmine for so long. I think he actually loves her, the rockhead."

"People can be foolish when they are in love."

Alwyn locked eyes with Zavier then and Joric had the good sense to drift off.