Chapter 17 - "It seems there is serious reason to worry."

Zavier

As Zavier swung his legs off the bed, he let out a slow breath. He could move now without spasms of pain but his side still ached. He dragged a hand down his face, wiping away sleep. He felt tired even after sleeping.

Fynn told him he would feel weak for a while as his body healed. Still, Zavier wished it would heal faster. He'd been confined to a bed for four days while the ship was being repaired. Then onboard again, he'd been confined to the captain's quarters, not having the strength to go further.

When the door to the cabin cracked open, Zavier tensed. He'd had to command Joric to protect him on the other side of the door. For whenever Joric was around, he watched Zavier with such intense concern Zavier felt as if he might die on the spot with how Joric acted.

At least Alwyn treated him better than that. That was when she was around which hadn't been very much. But her presence still managed to put Zavier on edge. He knew she forgave him but where they went from there was uncertain. He wasn't betrothed anymore but he was still a Prince. Neither of them knew what that meant for them.

When the cabin door opened wider and Lydia peered in, Zavier relaxed. She didn't hold the weight Joric or Alwyn did.

Over the previous days of having her help care for him at first felt strange but then comforting. And somehow it seemed to help her. She still wore her grief like a second skin, but she didn't appear so lost.

"I thought you might be awake," she said. "I brought you something to eat."

The scent of cinnamon wafted through the room as she approached him with a steaming bowl. Zavier hadn't asked where Alwyn and Cyrus found Yasmine and her brother, but after eating her meals, he was certain that she could make dirt taste good.

As Zavier ate, Lydia drifted to the windows, staring out. The late afternoon light highlighted the dark circles under her eyes and he could imagine what type of nightmares might make sleep difficult. They were the type of ones that plagued him.

When he set the empty bowl aside, Lydia glanced over.

"Do you think you are strong enough to go on deck?" she asked. "You might enjoy what's going on."

Zavier didn't care if he was strong enough, he needed to get out of this room. Being constantly hemmed in was making him go slowly crazy.

"Yes," he said.

Lydia retrieved his cane, bought for him in the Seau islands.

"It seems unlike a Princess to perform such menial tasks," Zavier said.

Lydia let her eyes slide away from his. "There is not much for a Princess to do on a ship where everyone else has a job."

When Zavier took the cane, Lydia met his gaze.

"I am grateful for your help, Princess."

Lydia blinked like she might cry and broke away from his gaze.

"Do you need help with your boots?" she asked.

Bending down hurt too much, but Zavier wasn't going to make Lydia assist him with putting them on.

"I can go without them," he said.

"It seems unlike a Prince to walk around without shoes," Lydia said with a breath of laughter.

Zavier paused. The sound was made beautiful by rarity.

"You were trying not to laugh when I first met you and your family," Zavier said. The lightness dimmed in Lydia's countenance. "I believe your brother Reen had said something to you and a laugh slipped out."