Chapter 28 - "I promise, I am not going anywhere."

Zavier

Zavier didn't think that his heart would ever stop pounding. Even as he cradled Lydia in his arms and felt that she was there, she was alive, she was safe, it still pounded. The fear that he'd felt on waking up on the ground, head pulsing with pain, side throbbing, and Lydia gone still filled him.

It hadn't stopped as he helped bandage Joric's wound, or called for someone to run to the palace to get help, or talked with Nolan about what they should do, or finally made it to the dock and found Lydia there barely upright talking to a man. A man she'd called Papa.

Zavier tightened his hold on Lydia as he stared at the man. He knew this man was from the West Isle with his tan skin, hazel eyes, and auburn hair. He looked about mid-forty, though a bit gaunt. But that meant nothing. What did mean something was the fact that he looked like the King. Despite feeling the urge to carry Lydia off, he needed his question answered.

"Who are you?" he demanded. "You are not her father, I met the King."

The man looked to Lydia with a softened expression but with a touch of something else Zavier didn't understand.

"I'm her uncle, Kristoff," he said.

Nolan took a step forward, his hand on the hilt of his sword, body tense.

"You expect us to take your word for it?" he asked.

Zavier did, the similarities between him and the King were too extreme for him not to believe. Besides, in her exhaustion, Lydia had thought Kristoff was her father. But Kristoff didn't flinch under Nolan's harsh tone. Instead, he pushed up the sleeve of his shirt, revealing a silver woven band tattoo. It was the same one that marked Lydia's skin, announcing her to be the fourth heir to the throne. Kristoff's marked him as a second heir.

Lydia shivered in Zavier's arms and all thoughts for this suddenly appearing uncle vanished from his mind.

"We need to get her back to the palace," Zavier said.

Nolan nodded. "He will come with us. You take Lydia in the carriage."

Zavier understood. It didn't matter who this man was, Nolan was not risking him being in an enclosed place with Lydia. Her safety was the priority. As Zavier turned away, four guards - that were not his family's - stepped forward. One of them spoke.

"We will come with you, it is our job to protect the Prince," he said.

Zavier glanced back at Kristoff to see him hesitate at the guard's words but Nolan answered.

"Of course. Follow me."

Zavier looked to the carriage driver. "Go as fast as you can."

As he bent forward to climb into the carriage, the cloak around Lydia slipped off, showing her bare arm and her underclothes plastered to her skin. The guard shut the door and the carriage lurched forward.

Zavier sank into the seat and hurriedly grabbed the cloak's edge and wrapped it about her, covering her up. The small exposed moment made Lydia shiver. Zavier pulled her closer to him, trying to share his body's warmth with her. She breathed out and he felt as it fanned across his neck.

In his arms, she felt so small, almost fragile. It felt strange since he knew the strength she'd shown. There hadn't been a ship in sight at the harbor, so how far had she swam? The last he'd seen of her she'd been petrified. How much courage it must have taken to break free of her fear and save herself?

He felt as his heart pounded for a different reason, with admiration for her determination.

Lydia murmured something over and over again. Zavier tilted his head, wanting to know what it was. The soft words sounded like 'don't leave me' repeated again and again. Zavier tightened his hold, feeling how cold Lydia was.