Chapter 33 - "Why isn't he here?"

Alwyn

Alwyn stepped onto the balcony and into the early morning dawn. Fog coated the palace grounds making it appear as if she were still at sea. A canopy of clouds set the stage for a somber day. Sleep had eluded Alwyn, her thoughts rolling like the tide, never settling.

The fog broke and Alwyn spotted a lone figure at the training grounds, sword swishing through invisible ghostly adversaries. She hesitated for a moment before reentering the palace and finding her way through the hallways. Mist dampened her hair as she approached Lydia. Even as she stopped, Alwyn wasn't sure what she'd say or even why she'd felt the need to come.

"Is Zavier training you?" Alwyn asked.

Lydia spun around, startled. Alwyn retreated a step in case her presence wasn't wanted. Letting out a breath, Lydia swiped at her brow.

"Yes, he is," she said. The caution in her tone told Alwyn that she was worried Alwyn wouldn't like this fact.

"Though Zavier knows how to handle a sword," Alwyn said. "He is also a man, they can fight with the strength of their upper body. For us, it's not the same."

"Oh?"

Lydia perked up and Alwyn felt safe coming closer.

"For us, our whole bodies need to be our weapon, our support. Our strength comes from our arms, torso, and legs. May I?"

Lydia handed over her sword and Alwyn noted that it was smaller than an average weapon. It felt lighter and more proportioned to a woman's hold. Alwyn looked from the artfully designed handle to Lydia.

"Did Zavier have this made for you?" she asked.

When Lydia nodded, there was again a hint of hesitation. Alwyn couldn't fault her, when they'd first been on the ship Alwyn had been angry at Zavier and Lydia, mistaking her for Vienna. Now Lydia and Zavier were betrothed, it made sense Lydia would be wary. At that moment, Alwyn wanted to kick her old self for being cruel. There was nothing to do now but make amends.

"Watch how I go through the positions," Alwyn said.

Alwyn moved with exaggerated slowness, allowing Lydia time to observe each step and how every thrust engaged every part of her body. Brow pinched together in concentration, Lydia studied Alwyn's form. Alwyn stopped and held the sword out to Lydia.

"Now you try," she said.

Lydia mimicked Alwyn's flow but without the gracefulness that came with years of practice. Still, Alwyn had to admit she was more capable than she'd expect from a Princess. As Lydia continued, Alwyn corrected her mistakes lightly, hoping she didn't sound too harsh.

"Have you been coming out here early for a while?" Alwyn asked as Lydia grew more comfortable.

"No, I had a nightmare I couldn't banish," Lydia said. "And I didn't have..."

She stopped and faced Alwyn. Though she looked uncertain, she stood straight as if trying to find courage.

"I must be honest with you, Alwyn," she said. "Yesterday, Zavier and I...we signed the arrangement alliance. In the eyes of both Kingdoms we are...our Kingdoms are joined."

That was why Zavier had given her the plant because there was no turning back. Last night had sealed what Alwyn already knew, the future with Zavier she'd planned, hoped for was no longer there. Still, hearing the finality of it hit Alwyn differently.

She sat down on the grass, staring at the thinning fog. What did she feel? Anger? Hurt? Resignation? Nothing? But she did feel something, she simply couldn't put a name on it. What did one feel when a conclusion they already saw coming, came?