Chapter 30 - "Look at me, Lydia."

Lydia

Lydia woke to the soft light of a candle. As she stirred from her dreams, she sensed the absence of something but she couldn't discern what. Blinking her eyes open, she peered around the dim room.

When her gaze landed on the empty chair beside the bed, the previous night rushed back to her: Zavier holding her hand, sitting with her as she fell asleep, talking about his family so she wouldn't be taken back into her nightmares.

Lydia pushed herself up and a shadow shifted near the candle. The Queen set down her book and rose.

"How are you feeling?" Gigi asked, perching on the edge of the bed.

Still hazy, Lydia only nodded. Realizing that wasn't an answer, she spoke.

"I'm all right."

She looked to the empty chair but didn't want to say anything. She remembered Zavier saying he wouldn't leave but she didn't want to feel disappointed that he eventually went to his own room.

"I had to force Zavier to get some rest," Gigi said as if reading Lydia's thoughts. "You have been asleep for more than a day. When I did not see my son yesterday afternoon I came in here. He was sleeping in the chair. He made me promise to stay here with you."

Lydia glanced about but with the curtains closed, it was impossible to tell what part of the day it was.

"Is it still afternoon?" Lydia asked.

Gigi smiled. "No, it's morning now. The healer said it was good for you to sleep as much as you needed." The smile faded as Gigi surveyed Lydia. "You dear girl, it grieves me that you have seen such harm in my city."

Lydia gripped her arms, not wanting to think of the real nightmare she lived through or the tiring time spent at sea. She was back in the palace, she was...being in the palace was enough for now.

"You must be hungry," Gigi said.

The statement brought Lydia back into her body and found all the needs it demanded from her.

"Yes," she said.

Gigi stood. "Then I will send for food. As well as Zavier, he wanted to know when you were awake. Do you need help getting up?"

"No, thank you."

With a last concerned look, Gigi left the room. Lydia slipped out of the covers and tugged on her silken robe. After visiting the washroom to relieve herself, she walked into the sitting room, claiming a seat at the table.

A window before her overlooked part of the palace grounds. Golden light tumbled over the palace and sent long shadows and haloes across the grounds. It was a peaceful sight, one that helped remind Lydia she wasn't a captive, she was safe.

The door to her sitting-room opened and Zavier hurried inside. He looked rumpled and hadn't shaven that morning. Something about his appearance told Lydia he'd faced the same type of rough sleep she had. He knelt before her, taking her in as if he needed his own reminder that she was safe.

In turn, Lydia studied him. A bruise marred the side of his face and she vaguely remembered striking him in the grips of a night terror. She reached up and gently touched the sore spot.

"Are you all right?" she asked.

Zavier laughing was not the response she expected.

"Princess, you escaped your captors and swam back to Loria, my well-being should not be the one in question."

Though that was true Lydia couldn't forget the image of him being attacked and falling to the ground.

Zavier captured her hand and pressed it between two of his. "You do not need to worry about me, Princess."