Chapter 32 - "I'm not Wilder."

Zavier

"No!" Zavier and Wilder both said as they leapt from their seats.

They exchanged a look before focusing back on Lydia. Zavier could sense Alwyn staring at him but he didn't meet her gaze, not when all he could see was Lydia's terror when they'd been attacked in the park.

"I'm not letting you put yourself in danger like that," Wilder said, betraying fear and determination.

Lydia didn't argue and Zavier could see how even though she'd said it, she didn't want to do it. Her fingers were white from the intensity of her grip. Despite how she held herself, he noticed the uneven pattern of her breathing. Zavier wanted to reach out to her but held himself back.

"I don't think this is a path we can dismiss quite yet," Kristoff said, evenly. "Especially if Lydia were to travel with me."

"That is not going happen," Wilder said, staring daggers at the Prince.

Before Wilder could be angered enough that he threw an actual dagger, Thayer stood. The tension in the room eased at his calm countenance.

"I am putting an end to this discussion for today," he said. "We know all what we need. Tomorrow we will devise a plan. Wilder, son." Zavier caught Wilder's flinch at the title. "You look tired, go rest. We will find a solution, I promise you. Isla, Raif, I hope you will stay with us for the night or at least dinner."

With the plans laid to rest, everyone rose and began to talk amongst themselves. Only Lydia remained where she was. It seemed like she was caught in a waking nightmare of her own. Zavier gently touched her elbow and she roused herself.

"Princess."

She locked eyes with him and let out a slow breath as if he'd spoken the reminder to breathe.

"Zavier, Lydia."

They both turned and saw Thayer beckoning them to follow him. As they left the room, Zavier glanced back. Wilder stood at the table, clenching and unclenching his hands. Alwyn approached him but Zavier walked out the door before he could see what she did. His father led them to his study and took up a position behind his desk.

"I thought this would be best done without anyone watching. Your Highness," he said, softly. "I know that this is a challenging time, with so much uncertainty of what lays ahead. Though I wish I could give you a moment to process all you have heard, there is something that must be done."

Zavier eyed this father, trying to understand what he meant. Only when his father removed a long roll of parchment from his desk, did Zavier understand. Of course, one last step.

"Lydia, Zavier," Thayer said. "You both gave your word to the marriage alliance." He unrolled the parchment and Zavier stared at the two blank spaces at the bottom. "But if you feel you must refuse for any reason, this is the last chance to do so. Once this is signed, you are in agreement."

His father looked at Lydia kindly as if he hated to put this on her after the day's events. But Zavier saw how it was crucial right then. No matter what decisions were made, Lorian soldiers would be sailing to the West Isles to fight. That was not a small thing, lives would be given for the sake of another kingdom.

Zavier lifted his gaze to Lydia. Their last chance to say no.

As Zavier watched Lydia, he was struck by how different she appeared than moments ago. No longer was she uncertain or afraid. She dipped the quill into the ink and signed her name. Instead of holding out the quill for Zavier, she laid it down, giving him the option of picking it up.