Chapter 42 - "Will you stay with me?"

Zavier

Protect Lydia. Protect Lydia. The words pounded in Zavier's chest along with his thundering heartbeat.

He tore through the corridors, searching for a sign of her, of King Titus, of more soldiers. There had been so many laying around Wilder, was that the same amount of men King Titus had with him? How many would Zavier have to fight to get to Lydia? Would he be enough to protect her?

Zavier shoved the thoughts from his mind, even if he faced an army, he would do all he could to get to her.

From a hallway he heard the clatter of running soldiers and Zavier ran harder. As he rounded the corner, he spotted King Titus further down, waving to two soldiers. King Titus was alone. Where were his guards? Had Wilder taken on all of them?

"Men!" the King yelled. "To me."

King Titus disappeared through an archway and the soldiers hurried after him. Zavier knew he couldn't let them get to the King. For whatever reason King Titus no longer had Lydia. And Zavier wasn't going to make it easy for the King to recapture her. He would handle these soldiers then help her.

As Zavier ran after the two guards, he tugged out a dagger and threw it. The soldiers heard him and both of them dove out of the way of the blade in time. Their avoidance gave Zavier enough time to catch up to them. He swung at the soldier on the left, while kicking out at the other soldier. The first soldier blocked Zavier's blade and the other soldier jumped out of reach.

Zavier spun away from the first guard and raised his sword to meet the second's blade. Back and forth Zavier fought, striking out when he saw an opening and retreating when the the men retaliated.

Over and over they went, the fight wearing him down, until he slipped beneath one of the soldier's guard and drove his sword into his chest. The second guard yelled but Zavier ripped his blade free and ducked, slicing the second's thigh. The man cried out and dropped to his knee. Zavier rose and slit the soldier's throat.

The man's cry died out and he toppled. Hastily wiping his sword, Zavier sprinted for the archway King Titus had disappeared into. The hallway beyond lay empty. He sheathed his sword and ran harder, glancing in every room and corridor as he passed. He heard a faint grunt of pain and Zavier slowed, waiting to hear more.

But nothing more came.

Swearing, he chose a hallway on his left and followed it, hoping he'd heard right. Through an archway Zavier spotted Lydia. His heart spiked with relief. He saw nothing but her as he raced to her.

"Princess!" he said. 

She lifted her head and tears gleamed in her eyes, a mix of grief, exhaustion, and relief.

"Zavier."

Zavier swept her into his arms and she clung to him. She trembled and he held her more tightly.

"I'm glad you are alive," he said.

He gazed around the corridor, seeing the two soldiers dead further on and King Titus unconscious near them.

"It appears you did not need me," he said.

Lydia drew back, looking into his eyes. Zavier felt his heart lurch at the flood of emotions he saw in them.

"I need you more than you know," she said.

Lydia kissed him. It was soft but certain.

Warmth rushed through Zavier as he returned her kiss.

Her words rattled around Zavier's head before finding a home in his heart. He kissed her hair, savoring how natural it felt to have her in his arms.

Footsteps sounded down the hall and Zavier released Lydia, spun around and put himself in front of her. He drew out his sword as Joric appeared. Zavier relaxed and sheathed his sword.