Chapter 14 - "I saw her die."

Zavier

Zavier gripped the railing of his ship, glaring at the Sea Siren. Why was she here? With the curve of the port, he had a perfect view of the ship. It sat there in its berth, taunting him.

Had Alwyn docked it there simply to taunt him? Of course she had. Their last two interaction tangled in his mind, the highest emotion of happiness followed by the deepest despair.

Now she was in the West Isles. There to torture him, knowing he wouldn't be able to think about anything other than her. Sense her presence in the city. Feel her eyes on him as he went to meet the royal family. Went to meet his betrothed.

"Your Highness."

Prying his fingers off the railing, Zavier turned. Jayis stood holding out Zavier's cape. It bore the full moon of Loria and symbolized who he was as Prince. Zavier wanted to rip it from Jayis' hands and hurl it into the sea.

Fighting down the urge, he allowed Jayis to drape the cape over one shoulder and secure it across his chest with a gold chain. The weight of it felt heavier than any shackle.

"It is time, Your Highness," Jayis said.

Zavier nodded, but before he could descend to the main deck, Jayis gripped his shoulder in silent comfort. Though it reminded Zavier he wasn't alone, it did nothing to alleviate the suffocating pressure in his chest. His guard formed up around him as he left the ship. Waiting for them was a group of horses. As they all mounted, Zavier glanced back once at the Sea Siren.

The sun lowered in the sky as they rode into the city. The streets were packed with citizens all eager to see the Lorian prince. Women hung out of windows, waving and throwing flowers. Little children shrieked and tried to run alongside the procession. Every color burst around them in the leaves on the trees to the vibrant fabrics the women wore.

"I look forward to living here," Casian said, smiling at a girl.

All the guards chuckled in agreement, except Brigin who had a fiery girl back in Loria he wouldn't betray. Despite the foreboding Zavier felt, he smiled a little. The women here were beautiful with their cinnamon skin tone, light eyes, and auburn hair.

But Zavier found his smile fading, his mind drifting to one girl with dark blonde hair, sun-kissed skin, and blue eyes.

As they approached the palace, Zavier was grateful that decorum didn't dictate that he smile. He knew he wouldn't be able to, not as he met the girl he would marry while thinking of the girl he loved.

Compared to the boisterous energy of the city the nobles in the palace were gracious and self-possessed. They all bowed as Zavier entered the lavish ballroom and strode towards the dais where the royal family stood. Jayis's presence beside him kept his head held high when all he wanted to do was run away and find Alwyn, escape into the ocean's fold.

All Zavier's lessons in etiquette let him flow through the introductions with an easy manner. When it came time to start the night's festivities, he held out his hand to Princess Vienna without the slightest hint of hesitation.

Only the two of them danced that first dance, everyone looking on. It couldn't be denied, Vienna was everything a Princess should be, stunning, poised, and composed. Zavier felt like a fraud of a prince in contrast to her.

Only when he danced next with her younger sister Lydia, did Zavier begin to relax. Lydia, like her brother Reen, took after their Seau mother with their richer skin tone and darker eyes. But that was not what made her different than Vienna. No, there was a liveliness about her, like she was a bird about to spread her wings and soar away. There was a hint of wildness about her.