Chapter 6

Currently editing

Rosa:
I tried to adjust my eyes to the light shining in from the window. The curtains were draw open and the sun shone brightly through the gap. The time on the computer across from me was blinking seven o'clock every second. If I was going to get to school on time I needed to get up.

As I turned to my side, I felt Lucas' warm breath flow into my face. His dirty blonde hair was draped over his face covering his hazel eyes. With my nose inches away from his, I was trapped under his grasp. He had his arm around my waist, crushing me down into the mattress.

Slowly, I tried to push his arm away so that I could slide out. As I sweeped his arm away, before it fell and made a loud thud on the mattress. Gritting my teeth, I patiently waited for Lucas wake. Thankfully, he slept like the dead.

I jumped in a panic as a blaring alarm went off, echoing in my head. Lucas' eyes flew open. Distressed, I stared at him blankly while hovering above him on my knees. What was I supposed to say?

He quickly grabbed his phone and switched off the alarm before it became louder. As I pinched the bridge of my nose, my face flushed my embarrassment. Although, I'm glad it made someone laugh.

"That make you jump?" Lucas asked through burts of laughter.

"No," I replied jokingly. "I just like...pretending to...jump at stuff. I'm not very good at being social or funny am I?"

Lucas shook his head as he laughed. Once again, I jumped at the ringing of Lucas' alarm by the side of his bed.

"Oh, now that's telling me I need to get my ass out of bed and get ready for school." He stated as he he leaped off the bed. "You should probably go and get ready for school as well. Assuming your coming of course."

"Yeah." Quietly, I crept out of his room and over to the guest room. I grabbed my clothes from yesterday from off the floor. They wouldn't be really dirty or anything and they should be fine to wear again. Plus they were all I had.

As quick as I could, I changed out of the pjamas Eva (Lucas' mum) had kindly let me borrow. Putting my navy blue hoodie over my t-shirt and leggings, I sped out of the door almost running into Lucas.

I saw my reflection in the mirror beside me. My eye was still bruised and sore. There was a few bruises on my cheeks but nothing major and a few scratches. I looked as if I had been beaten up. Well actually I technically had.

"You'll be alright, you don't seem to have any serious injuries or permanent" lucas said as I gently stroked my face. "Don't worry too much about it. Them again that's easy for me to say isn't it?"

We walked across the hall and back down the stairs into a large room. There were two sofas for three opposite each with a square coffee table in the middle. Two reclining chairs say either side facing the middle. A few plants pots were sprawled around the room next to windows with tightly drawn curtains. The air smelled of coffee and burnt toast which had a lasting stench stuck in my nose.

On the sofas, two women, including Eva, were sat facing each other with either tea or coffee in their hands. I wasn't quite sure. Across from them was another two guys, busy in their own conversation. However, once I walked into the room, one of the guys stared at me confused. He look as though he was trying to recall a forgotten memory. 

"Morning guys," Eva said, placing her drink on the table, before she indicated to Lucas. " I know what you want for breakfast. But what do you want Rosa?"

"Could I please have some toast?" I replied, fighting awkwardly.

"Rosa?" One of the guys muttered under is breath. His eyes widened in realisation. He stormed out of the room, dragging his friend with.

"Sorry, excuse them. They don't speak to people a lot so they don't have any manners." As Eva left the room, a look of enragement  spread across her face. She slammed the door behind her and muffled voices carried from the room.

The only woman who was left gestured for me and Lucas to sit across from her. She had honey brown hair cut at her shoulders, which curled into springs. Her hair was paired with sapphire eyes which glistened in the light of dawn. Cherry red lips were fixed in a cheerful smile as she took a sip from her drink, smearing lipstick on the side.

"You're name's Rosa right," I nodded, unable to form actually words. "I'm Avery. Me and Eva are the only two here with brain cells. Maybe you could even us out."

"Hey! I have brain cells, the others may not but I do." Lucas snapped back offended.

"Sure you do." Svery joked as I giggled at their idiocy, still unable to form words. "That's quite a bruise you have on your eye. Does it hurt?"

"Not really." I gently touched where my bruise was as I stared at the floor. "It's pretty much just a mark."

"Well you know what they say about scars - and bruises I guess?" I shook my head. "They are just a symbol that you are stronger than what hurt you."

An uncontrolled smile overcame my face, fighting to stay. A warm feeling took over that refused to go away. For the first time in ten years I felt wanted and cared for. I wasn't expecting this ever again.

A few moments later Eva came back in with two plates of toast. One was burnt while the other was perfectly done. She placed the burnt toast in front of Lucas and the other in front of me before she returned to her seat.

"Thank you." Both Lucas and I said in unison.

"You like burnt toast?" I asked as he nodded, face full of toast. "Psychopath!"

Lucas struggled to keep himself from choking as he laughed. He ended up having to gulp a lot of water because he couldn't stop himself coughing. However, the entire time he refused to stop laughing.

"Me and Avery have some makeup upstairs, and I'm sure we'd have something that matches your skin tone." Eva started. "If you want I could try to cover your bruise for you. I mean its just a suggestion. You don't have to but it might keep nosey stares away."

"That would be great thank you."

She led me back upstairs leaving the others behind to their own conversations. When we walked into her room she told me to sit on the midnight velvet bed with white and dusty rose sheets. As I silently waited, Eva fished out a silver glittery makeup bag.

Then once she had sat beside me, she pulled out a weirdly shaped sponge and a round pot of something. I was never allowed to have or wear makeup so I had no clue what any of this was.

Gently, she dabbed the sponge under my eye where the bruise was. It didn't hurt at all it just felt kind of cold.

"Do you mind if I ask how you got a black?" She asked, as politely as anyone possibly could. "You're not obliged to tell me. I'm just curious and when we asked Lucas he said it wasn't his place. He's not wrong though."

"Well, uhh...I was left at an orphanage when I wasn't even one. I've had foster families