12

﹂︎CHAPTER 12﹁︎

დ︎

The next morning I awoke, not knowing that I would be meeting two other members of this so called gang known as the 'maniax.'

Me and Jerome walked into the main room and that's when I spotted two other females. I guessed they're the people i'm supposed to be meeting.

Jerome took a seat and as of then Theo took the opportunity to call me over to him and the women, who watched me curiously.

"Good Morning, Nova" Theo greeted.

"Morning" I replied tiredly, but nonetheless I still gave a half smile.

"Nova, these are the two lovely ladies i'd like you to meet" He said, gesturing to the blonde and black haired women in front of me.

"This is my sister Tabitha" He claimed, signifying to the women with the black hair. "And this is Barbara Keen" He motioned, taking a quick glance to the blonde.

Something sounded really familiar about the name Barbara Keen.

"I'm Nova" I introduced. "Lovely to meet you both" I expressed.

Tabitha just somewhat smiled at me, barely making eye contact, which Theo must have taken notice to because he walked up to me and whispered. "Don't worry, she's always like that. You'll get used to it" He smiled, which I nodded at.

Tabitha only scoffed at Theo's comment and walked away.

Theo walked away not long after, making his way over to the boys, leaving me alone with Barbara. She got up and embraced me. I soon embraced back, feeling strangely comforted by the blonde. She pulled away smiling but had a look look of uncertainty on her face.

"Have I seen you somewhere? you look awfully familiar" Barbara finally spoke up.

"If you have, it probably would have only been at Arkham. Considering I don't go out much" I joked.

She looked at me with wide eyes. "Oh! that's it. I knew I recognised you from somewhere!" She squealed. "You still work at Arkham, right?"

"It's complicated, I mean I did, but since the night Jerome and the guys broke out. I sort of haven't been back there" I said, sighing deeply.

Barbara nodded slowly, as if she was stuck in her thoughts.

"Wait, how did you know I worked there?" I asked, curiously.

"I was a patient there. And I saw you in your office a few times. They never let you be my psychologist though. But that's probably because Jerome was hogging you all the time" She giggled.

I laughed. "That's an understatement"

I mainly just had Jerome as my patient, all things considered he did threaten to kill the guards if they didn't let him see me.

"I broke out with the guys. But me and Tabby decided to lay low for a bit at her apartment, until Jim calmed down with this man hunt to catch us" She added.

"Jim? as in Jim Gordon?" I questioned.

"Yeah.." She said, awkwardly.

And I could tell something must have happened between them, by the sound of her tone. Not to mention I heard a few things at Arkham, once or twice.

"You two had a thing didn't you?" I grinned.

"Yes" she sighed as she paused. "Until that bitch Lee stole him from me" She explained, rolling her eyes.

I looked at her with soft eyes, knowing first hand what it was like to lose someone you love to someone else. Too bad for Lee though, as I could clearly tell Barbara wanted revenge, or more so, needed it.
In her own mind that is.

Barbara and I talked for hours, and caught each other up on the things that has happened in our lives. From good to bad.

If I was being honest, I really enjoyed her company. Besides the fact she brutally murdered her parents, but, hey. Who am I to judge?

She informed me of some of her situations, as of Jim leaving her for some doctor named Lee Tompkins. Her killing her parents, with no reason. However, beforehand she was held captive by Jason Lennon, who was the guy who made her officially snap.

I mentioned the kiss Jerome and I shared last night which came as no surprise to Barbara, as she already mentioned she could smell the tension between us from a mile away. And in return she told me about her relationship with Tabitha.

"It's complicated, but I love her" Quoted by Barbara herself. I laughed, understanding. Knowing from my own personal experience.

I mean after last night, Nova doesn't know what's going on between Jerome and her. Though, she knows deep down that she feels some sort of connection with him. She just didn't want to admit it.

"Can I be honest with you?" Barbara asked, out of the blue.

"Go ahead" I nodded.

"You just seem way too innocent to be with Jerome" She laughed.

"Hey, no need to judge a book by its cover" I teased, before continuing. "Anyway, i'm not with him like that, plus everyone has at least one dark secret no one knows about" I winked.