(1) 𝙢𝙚𝙚𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙢𝙖𝙣𝙞𝙖𝙘

Nova slid half way into her car, stopping abruptly as she caught a glimpse of Gotham's city lights

Nova slid half way into her car, stopping abruptly as she caught a glimpse of Gotham's city lights. She found herself captivated by them for a moment, quietly admiring until reality slapped her in the face, reminding her of work — which she was already unacceptably late for.

Around 20 minutes later, she finally arrived at Gotham's very own hell, Arkham asylum. She already wished she stayed home, cuddled in bed with some wine as she binge watched supernatural, but she had to make her money somehow.

The halls of the Asylum echoed with screams and laughter, but it wasn't the happy or joyful type, it was manic, evil, but at the same time mesmerising — at least to her.

She continued walking down the dreary and dimly lit hallway, passing by sectioned-off rooms where she could see bundles of inmates. Her curiosity climaxed as her ears perked up at a specific laugh.

Nova's feet led her further into the wickedness, the crazy laughter booming and bouncing off the surrounding walls, almost as if it was following her. The brunette came to a halt as she stumbled across a large barricaded door.

What caught her eye was the neon skeleton symbol which she guessed was spray painted on the already black and yellow striped door. The whole thing screamed danger to Nova, but being the curious soul she is, she pushed that thought to the back of her mind.

Nova was too preoccupied with her intriguing thoughts to hear the voice behind the door mumble a bunch of nothingness to no one in particular but itself.

That was until the mumbles got louder, suddenly catching her full attention.

She cautiously took a step forward, only now being centimetres away from the door. Nova soon closed the remaining distance, pressing her hands firmly against the solid door.

She slowly trailed her hands to the symbol, lightly tracing the skeleton as she thought aloud. "Interesting." She'd never seen this before.

"I can hear ya, ya know?" The voice of a man grumbled. "It's really distracting. . . I'm tryna think here."

Nova instinctively dropped her hands and stumbled back, her mouth agape as she willed herself to believe she was hearing things, but that certainly wasn't the case.

"On second thoughts. . maybe some company wouldn't be so bad after all." The man pondered rather cheerfully. In fact, too cheerfully for Nova's liking.

Nova still said nothing, pressing her lips into a thin line as she stood awkwardly outside the door, not knowing what to say or do.