17

﹂︎CHAPTER 17﹁︎

ღ︎

As we made our way home away from the GCPD in a police car which Barbara was driving, my stomach started to sink, remembering that I was no longer welcome in Theo's penthouse because my 2 days were up.

I tensed up as I felt Jerome nudge my side. "You okay?" He whispered.

"Fine" I fake smiled, feeling his eyes examine me, causing my stomach to turn even more than it already did.

"No" He responded, shifting in the back seat so he could face me.

"No?" I questioned.

"No, you're not okay" He stated, vacantly.

"I'm fin-" I started, but got cut off almost immediately.

"Let me finish" Jerome ranted. "Something is bugging you and I need you to tell me what" He demanded.

I sighed, knowing he wouldn't stop until he got what he wanted, which was the truth. "You know how Theo wants me to leave.." I trailed off.

"Hmm" He hummed.

"Well, my 2 days are up" I added.

"I know" Jerome stated, simply.

I cocked my eyebrow, looking at him in shock considering I had just told him that I was leaving and god knows how long it would be until I see him again. "And you're okay with that?" I belted.

"No-" He started, but didn't get the chance to finish.

"No? Okay. So why aren't you worried then? Or even a little bit...hmm I don't know...sad? I understand you're incapable of having emotions but-"

Before I could get in another word, Jerome's hand wrapped around my throat.

"Shut your pretty mouth, before I make it" Jerome growled, whispering darkly into my ear.

"Don't threaten me with a good time" I sneered.

His grip tightened on my neck, which caused me to hold back a moan.

"Be careful what you wish for, doll" He remarked, slowly removing his hand from my throat before continuing to speak.

"As I was saying, before you interrupted me" Jerome huffed. "Women moment" He added on, with a fake cough.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes at his idiotic antics.

"So, what I was getting to was, no i'm not okay with Theo's actions and his pathetic reasons behind it, but i'm coming with you" He admitted.

"Coming with me?" I questioned.

"Well, duh!" He exclaimed cheerfully.

"And Theo's okay with that?" I challenged.

"Nope" He said, popping the 'p'. "But I know what he's planning" Jerome smirked.

We finally arrived back at the penthouse, coming to mind i'm only back here so Jerome can gather his things.

Me and Jerome made it to his bedroom and I helped him pack his essentials, afterwards preparing to leave as we were sure we had everything.

We made our way to the dining room, only to see Theo sat at the table. "Ah, Nova I was hoping to catch you before you left" He implied.

I looked to Jerome and he shrugged. "Why's that?" I asked, skeptically.

"Because, I wanted to wish you both luck" He
smiled, which seemed too good to be true.

"Thanks?" I replied, which sounded more like a question. He nodded.

"Well, thank you for letting me stay, for the past few days" I spoke up.

"But, it's best we should head out now right, Novey?" Jerome chipped in.

"Right" I agreed, mentally thanking Jerome, him noticing that I was visibly uncomfortable.

We began to walk away, until Theo called out my name. "Nova, may I have a quick word please? before you go" He asked, with a raised eyebrow.

Jerome looked at me anxiously, and was about to say something until I shook my head. "No" I whispered. "It's fine, go and take the bags to the car, I won't be long" I explained.

"Are you sure?" He inquired.

"Positive" I responded, Jerome nodding and gradually walking away. Leaving me and Theo alone. Great.

"So, what did you want to speak to me about?" I asked, keeping a fair amount of distance between us.

"I just wanted to warn you, to be careful..that is" Theo admitted.

"Excuse me?" I replied.

"Around Jerome, I mean" He stated, like it was obvious.

"What do you mean?" I asked, irritated.

"It's just who knows how long he'll be around for, and I in fact would hate to see you with a broken heart" He responded, calmly but seriously.

I was starting to get angry, but I didn't let it show. I gritted my teeth and continued. Giving Theo a taste of his own medicine. "I should get going now, Jerome will start to wonder where I am and who knows what he'll do" I said, with a fake smile as I walked away.