Chapter 27: Misinformation

^A pic of the lovely Sophie Turner who will be playing Jean in my story as well as the upcoming movies!^

********

I knew something was amiss as soon as I saw the the hedge filed-in fence and gates of the school. I stopped dead in my tracks holding my arm out slightly to stop those who were behind me.

"What's up?" Peter asked.

"Something's not right" I said.

"What is that something?"

I didn't really answer because I didn't know. I could feel too much emotion radiating from that place like heat from a furnace. I could practically see the swirls in the pale winter's sky from it.

As I turned the corner I heard people talking. It sounded like a large group and I heard radios being used. Then I got to see what exactly was going on; the scene wasn't exactly negative or anything that might seem like chaos, it was quite the opposite actually.

There were tons of people I didn't recognize gathered outside and strewn about. Some had blankets draped over their shoulders with what seemed like policemen talking with them, others were bundled in layers silently sitting by themselves, but all of them seemed to be not very affected by the cold.

What was strange about these "policemen" was that their uniforms were a bit off, they weren't the normal standard issue.

"What is this, some kind of Red Cross drive?" Cecelia asked. She was right, without further inquiry that was what it looked like.

I spotted Jean talking to one of the suspicious police-impostors with a clipboard in her hand so I made a beeline in her direction. Peter and Tori tagged along.

"What's going on?" I asked once I was standing next to my fiery-haired-friend.

"Oh good, Josie you're back. We needed you to see if you recognize any of these people. If any of you do" Jean added to the two behind me, raising the clipboard up to my line of sight.

"Whoa, hang on here. Not until I know what happened. Who the hell are all of these people?" I said as I pushed her arm down.

"The ones who are out here and not in uniform are a bunch of refugees and those in uniform are from some agency helping us out. Now look at the list" she said impatiently raising the board up toy face again.

I snatched the list with a huff and skimmed over the roughly written names. None of them stood out to me. "Sorry, no" I said still looking through the list, flipping to the back page. "I don't really remember anyone's last name if I met them. I meet too many people to remember that kind of thing." I handed the list to Tori in hopes that she kept tabs on surnames better than I did.

"Are you sure? None of them look familiar? Because at least a third of them said they knew your name" Jean said with a frown.

"What?"

"Yeah, most of them said that they remembered you from the safehouse."

Tori handed back the clipboard, "Some of the names look kinda familiar, but I'm much better with faces."

"Well then I would go talk to agent O'Grady, he's the one to talk to" Jean said.

I nodded and just as we were about to head in the direction Jean had pointed us I was stopped with an arm on my shoulder. Peter noticed my pause and looked back. I gestured for him to follow Tori but he refused, earning a glare from me.

I moved my gaze from Peter to look at Jean, the one who had stopped me. She let out a tremendous sigh and sank down to sit on the edge of the fountain that stood next to us.