Chapter Thirty: Bonfire

I was doubled over with laughter as Warren finished his story about a rather awkward encounter he had at a convenience store with older lady. After dinner a bunch of us gathered outside for a bonfire just so we could catch up and enjoy each other's company.

"-No way man, that didn't happen" Peter said next to me.

My legs were draped over his lap and I leaned against the arm of the wooden chair that we shared. We weren't the only ones to double up either; Jean and Scott happened to be sharing a seat, as well as Cecelia and Chris.

To some, it might have seemed resourceful since there weren't nearly enough chairs to go around, but being a psychic who specializes in all things human, I knew what was up. Although, all of them kept to their own little self-conscious bubbles, unlike my self where bubbles don't exist; they're more like suggestions.

"I swear, it's the truth!" Warren said with a grin as he popped a piece of popcorn into his mouth.

We had been joined by not only Jean, Scott and Warren, but also Tori, David (who had been cleared by Cecelia) Sage, Wanda, Cecelia, Chris and Marrow. Tori sat in front of David and his head rested on her shoulder and they just looked so content, it was almost contagious.

the conversation seemed to go stale but Jean managed to save it last minute "Well, I don't think I've met everyone here" she said and a couple of us nodded. "Is it too middle-school-day-campy to ask everyone to introduce themselves?" she asked and I chuckled.

Cecilia spoke up right away "not at all!" she said, brightly "besides I think you're right, I only know two of your names" Warren scoffed and pretended to look rather offended "well I'm sorry for being busy helping people" she said sarcastically, giving Warren a look.

"Well then, hi everyone, I'm Warren, also known as the magnificent angel" I laughed along with everyone else and decided to zone out, seeing as though I knew everyone already, mostly due to my mutation.

"Pretty boring stuff, huh?" Peter asked quietly into my ear and I snapped out of my thoughts and looked at him.

I smiled softly, nodded and fell back against his shoulder "yeah."

"You know everyone, huh?"

"Duh" I said "but it's on a whole new level."

It had gotten to peter and he gave a small wave to everyone "names Pietro, but everyone calls me Peter, because this is America and that's what they do. I run really fast. I'm also that weirdo's older brother."

"By twelve minutes" Wanda scoffed. It was nice to see her doing better, though she seemed rather zoned except for that moment.

"Like how fast?" Marrow asked, shifting her legs underneath her.

"He can pretty much do what ever the hell he wants- fast" I interrupted and Marrow narrowed her eyes skeptically.

"Prove it" she said, crossing her arms.

Peter smirked and the smile that had lingered on my face disappeared when I sensed his emotions change from just happy to happy with a side of mischief.

"Don't you even dare" I said when my legs weren't just moved off to the side, but they were swept up along with the rest of my body and I shut my eyes tightly, holding my breath.

In the blink of an eye I was set down on my feet on what seemed like snow for only a few milliseconds until I was swept up again. Then I was staring into the fire. The world around me was spinning like on a perpetual Lazy-Susan and I reached out and clung to the nearest thing to me which happened to be Peter's sleeve.

"Thanks for that" I said with sarcasm towards Marrow, she only smiled at me cheekily. "You did not have to bring me" I added, narrowing my eyes at Peter.

Peter shrugged and tossed a round object into the air, arching it up high it so Marrow would be sure to catch it. When the item hit her finger tips she hissed and dropped it. "A snowball, Really?"

"What else did you want, a lei?"

"You can run on water?" Jean asked.

"That's something I'm not quite willing to try" Peter said.

"Happy now Grey? Or do you wanna know our star signs too?" Warren asked.

"Oh come on, lay off her" Tori piped up, sending Warren a look "she was just trying to be nice."

""Sagittarius" I mumbled loud enough for everyone to hear and I got a few snickers. Warren bent down, scooping a bit of the snow from the cement and flicking it my way. I stuck my tongue out at him.

"Really? I would make you out to me a Libra." Scott said with a smile.

"-what are we gonna do" Wanda asked abruptly, making everyone stop.

She was looking into the fire, one arm crossed protectively over her to the opposite shoulder. She was one of us who sat on the ground instead of a chair. The fire made her brown hair turn a deep russet color and it reflected in her eyes.

Tori was the first to respond, "you mean with all the people here?"

"Everything I suppose."

"Well we know that as long as people stay here, they'll be safe" Jean said.

"No they won't."

"Wanda, what did you see?" I asked in a lower tone.

Everyone might not have known what I was talking about, but the only thing that mattered was that Wanda did.

"I'm sorry" Wanda said standing up, "I think I'm gonna call it a night."

When she walked off, I went to go follow her. "Excuse me" I said to everyone. It wasn't hard to catch up to her "Hey, remember what I said, how I can only see so much? You gotta talk to me."

"More mutants are coming" she said as we ascended the stairs.

"Well, yeah. They're coming in everyday."

"No, these people aren't looking for refuge."

I looked into her round eyes, they seemed so dull, like a rock that had tumbled through sand for one too many years.

"Are they with your father?" I whispered.

Wanda shook her head as I opened the door to my room. I tossed the key onto my desk as Wanda sat on the edge of my bed. I went to go sit next to her. I wrapped my arms around her shoulders and we just sat in silence for awhile.

"We'll get you through this, I promise" I said.

"We always do" she said quietly.