Chapter Twenty Five: What I Did Wrong Part 1

I know that this picture has no meaning, okay?

It just really makes me happy ❤

Oh and this chapter is a two-parter

*****

People loved my sister. In the few days after she had joined the school people took to her like moths to a light.

I had fallen back into classes in those few couple of days, but everything seemed wrong. It was like someone had moved one thing around, but I just couldn't place my finger on what it was or where it went l. I noticed I was quieter now; I only spoke to Jean, Sage and Warren during class and even then, they usually came to me first.

I couldn't stop thinking about Tori. From what she told me, it had sounded like David was dead and there was something I could have done to prevent it. This thought was consuming me. It like a physical pain that was gnawing at the front of my mind like a parasite and I couldn't stand it. I wasn't a murderer, but is it still considered murder if it's not done by your hand and it wasn't intentional at all?

I also didn't quite understand what was going on in the world right now. I did know that mutants were going back into hiding, that we were at risk for a mutant registration act, we were being abducted, experimented on, discriminated against and facing so much hate you could feel it hanging around in the air if you stepped outside. And to be honest, I also didn't know who was on each side. I didn't know if there even were sides. I always just figured it was professor Xavier's people against everybody else, but maybe I was wrong. That does tend to be the case a lot these days.

One night in the beginning of January after saying goodnight to my sister, I sat in my room with only my little bedside lamp lighting the room. Snow was falling outside my window, undisturbed by any wind. It fell in quiet and puffy clusters making only a soft tinkling noise upon the glass and round shadows in the light.

There was a knock at my door. I tried shouting that "no one was here!" but Sage and Warren had muscled their way into my peaceful sanctuary and practically forced me to talk to them.

"About what?" I asked with a deep sigh.

"About anything" Sage said in a uncharacteristically kind tone. I narrowed my eyes and scrutinized her expression.

I was tempted to just talk about something stupid like Burmese pythons and call it a day, but I also knew that it's not good to keep things to yourself too often. Keeping in all the things that are swimming around in your mind can lead to an overflow of, well everything.

"-But how did they know that Lorna was a mutant before she even acquired her powers?" Sage asked while she was laying at the end of my bed playing with the hem to my worn comforter. I had told them the story of everything that happened.

"I guess I just assumed that they didn't know... I figured that they took her because she was Erik's daughter."

"Do you think he'll come after her again?" Warren asked from my desk chair, leaning back at a dangerous angle.

I shrugged, "I don't really know. I mean, all three of his kids are here in the same town. So one would guess he might make an appearance sooner or later."

"But why is he doing it?"

"Is this gonna be twenty questions or an actual conversation?" I sighed giving Warren a look. I didn't want to admit that I had no clue. I try not to look into the motives of crazy people. He didn't want Charles dead, but that was the whole reason he said as to why he pulled myself and a few others aside. I didn't know if they were allowed to leave like I was.

There was a silence among us for a few moments until Warren spoke up again, "but seriously though, why did he do it?"

"I don't know okay?" I whined, rubbing my eyes just so I didn't have to look at him at that moment.