Chapter Seven: Adjustments

Last Updated: Feb. 6th 2016

***

It was a little weird at the beginning when we were all getting into the swing of things, but everyone and everything eventually fell into it's own little groove.

Classes for the younger kids started first and everyone sixteen and up were put in training for the first week. Seeing that I fit in that range (being 18 and all) I went with those in my age group. This meant we needed to understand our mutation first, then we could learn to control it. Besides, there were only around ten of us, so practicing individually wouldn't be that hard. After the mutation training came the physical part: weight training, self defense, cardio... you know, the "fun" stuff. For those who weren't aided by a mutation that made them stronger or a better fighter, it was probably the worst thing that we ever went through. Some of us even dropped out. When we were told at the beginning what we'd be doing with our new skills, there were about four or five people that blatantly refused to continue. Those who remained were meant to become a group of individuals who would pretty much serve as a protection agency without the total legality of something like SHIELD or the CIA.

I learned rather quickly that most of the other people who had chosen to stay had mutations that were, in no doubt, way cooler and more useful than mine... I mean some guy had wings. Therefore I just preferred to watch most of the time. I would be off to the side in my own little corner-of-lame. I mean, how much can you do with being able to learn about someone? If I got too bored I'd just go do self defense training, I was pretty good at it too which gave me a little hope for myself.

Today I sat on the side lines watching like I normally did as some kid was doing laser practice with his eyes. I was picking at my shoes at the moment, that stupid rubber sole thing that likes to come apart first was doing just that. I was half tempted to just end it all and yank it.

"Someone once said that ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do and attitude determines how well you do it." I looked up to see a smiling Professor Xavier. "Every person is here because they can do something extraordinary, there is no one above anyone or below." This made me frown slightly and think of Jean. He noted this and changed the subject. "What have you learned so far this week?" He asked.

"Not much to be honest" I said with a little guilt, picking at my darn shoe again.

"Well you can do things you don't even realize" I looked up from my shoes and tilted my head for him to continue.

"Not only can you learn everything there is to know about a person, you can also watch their memories and completely immerse yourself in the past." This I already knew, but like I mentioned before, I can't really control it when I do it. "And you are a surprisingly strong empath" well... that I didn't know "I want you to pick a person in this room and tell me about them." He said.

I gazed out into the largish group of other students, picking a guy I didn't really know.

"His names's Scott" I said nodding toward the guy with sunglasses who was laughing with two or three of his new friends. "He's got a brother named Alex and he has an optic mutation." I finished. I could have said more, but this kid had gone through some hard stuff, seeing your parents die in a plane crash isn't exactly good for public knowledge.

"Very good, now can you tell me what Jean's feeling over there?" He asked and I noticed that Jean was alone like me on the side lines.

People's emotions have always been prevalent to me, even before my mutation manifested. It got me in quite the argument with Peter every now and then.

"She's complicated" I admitted. "But she feels a bit lonely." I frowned at this. She was a sweet girl and I didn't like to see her upset or feeling neglected.