Chapter Twenty: Moonlight and stars

^The institute^

Sound Track: Oh Quiet Night - Will Stratton 

*****

It felt strange to be back. It felt as though I had never actually left. People were smiling and chatting all around me as if they were completely oblivious to the outside world. I heard stories from people over dinner and in turn, people wanted to know how how everything went so I told my stories as well, trying not to hyperventilate out of an anger-filled panic at the thought of everyone I left behind the entire time. I only got sympathetic smiles and words of endearment from people.

***

Eventually the sun sank below the horizon and the pink streaks of the last colors of the day faded into nocturnal blue. I sat on my bed in a pale blue tank top and black and white striped pajama bottoms, looking out of the window that was next to my bed.

I had managed to escape the onslaught of interacting with people only just long enough slip away and squeeze a shower into my night. It felt amazing to be clean. My hair was in neat and unfrizzy curls compared to the ratty poof it had been earlier. My hair hadn't been in curls like it was now since I left. It was more like strange squiggles.

The moon had snuck out from the dark corners of the sky to shine directly into my room, flooding it with a cool pale light. I heard and felt the familiar sensation of moving air next to me. I didn't bother to look away from the smiling man on the moon to my friend.

"I've always wondered what the world looks like when you do that." I said beginning to lazily count the stars, "how you can open my door and I won't ever see it." I finally spared a glance, he was smiling.

"It looks like I'm the only one who's moving" he said simply, "but if you look close enough everything is moving... just a whole hell of a lot slower than I am."

I grinned, trying to imagine what that looked like. I wished I could look back into some of his memories to see for myself like I normally could, but I still had promised him privacy all those years ago.

"How'd it go?" I asked casually changing the subject.

Peter gave away no blatant emotions on his face, but I knew him well enough to see all of the little micro ones.

"It didn't go well did it?" I asked with a mildly grim expression.

"They're just trying to work out what the hell to do" he said with an utterly exhausted look on his face and running a hand through his hair.

It hurt to see him like that. I scooted over on my tiny twin-sized bed and beckoned him to join me. I ended up being utterly squished against the wall. He wasn't actually that big, he was just doing it to piss me off.

"I wonder if they are still doing-" I had begun out of sheer curiosity. My question was answered when I heard the familiar knocking that started at the end of the hallway "dorm checks" I finished with a huff.

The next thing I knew the sharp rap was on my door. I clamored over Peter unceremoniously then face planted into my rug before popping up to my feet and tugging the door open, slightly out breath.

I began my rambling before the elderly woman even got a syllable in, "Ms. Downing!" I exclaimed throwing my hands up like one would when on a roller coaster then proceeding to hug her.

"How are you!? you're looking well! Jumped on that kale train have we? I heard its an absolute miracle food! Not that you would need it... Oh, it's so nice to see you again!" I said in one big breath and hugging her again.

"Josephine, my dear, it's lovely to see you again as well" a rather flustered Ms. Downing said, patting my back awkwardly. I released her then stood back with an absurd grin on my face.