Chapter 26: What I Did Wrong Part 2

^Sarah/Marrow^

"My priorities lie with the people here Josephine. I'm not just going to ask them to up and move again when that's all we've been doing for weeks now" Tori said, attempting to stress to me the importance of why staying here was safer that at the school.

"That's not what she was implying" Peter said, defending me. "All she was doing was suggesting that you move the younger kids. First of all so they could potentially get some kind of education and secondly, so they could be better protected."

"You think they're not safe here?" Tori asked bitterly.

"No I don't" Peter replied bluntly.

"Look, the school is an established place. If people come after it it'll be more publicized and it could potentially be more impactful for those who hear about it" I tried to reason.

"Because humans don't give a damn unless there are kids involved." Her words made me sigh. I was beginning to realize I wasn't the most stubborn thing out there.

"Just come by the school with us. Just once, that's all I'm asking, please" I pleaded. She seemed to be considering me quite intensely. She chewed the bottom of her lip out of habit.

She let out a flippant breath, "fine I'll take a group over, but give me ten minutes."

I agreed and we all left the room, but once we hit the bottom of the stairs Tori went in an opposite direction and Peter and I ended up just sitting on the narrow old creaky steps as we waited.

"That was some good persuasion out of you" Peter said nudging my shoulder.

I rolled my eyes, "you make it sound like I'm some secret agent."

"Who says you're not?"

"Me" I said shortly.

We fell into silence as he ran out of things to say and my mind started turning back to what I had thought about earlier, about how much I didn't know. Just starting to think about it again started to make me panic. I'm not supposed to be this helpless or lost, I'm supposed to know everything that's going on and how to fix it. I just needed to talk to people, to get their story and figure everything out that way. But then again, this whole issue is not about me. I'm not the focal point of the story, not the chosen one. I'm just me... and that kinda sucks.

"What are you thinking about?" Peter asked, pulling me out of my thoughts.

I could hear voices coming from another room. One of them sounded concerned, but the other was stern, harsh almost. I tried to listen to what they were saying, but I couldn't quite make it out. The old and thickly built walls absorbed too much of the noise.

"Too much" I sighed, answering Peter's question.

"Later?"

"Later."

"You know I'm gonna hold you too it" he said poking my side making me squeak and swat his hand, sending him a warning look.

Peter suddenly looked up which made me drop my angry stare and look up too. I hadn't noticed the talking from the other room had stopped. Tori had appeared in front of us now with Cecilia, Chris and one other person who was new to me.

Her name is Sarah, but she prefers Marrow, and to be completely honest, she's got the most interesting physical mutation I've ever seen. She has a mutation that causes her bones to grow out of her skin in such a way that allows them to be removed from her body, providing her with potential knives and clubs as well as body armor. It's not spread all over her body, just mostly along her shoulder blades, upper torso just below her chest and major joints like her elbows and knees.

As a child Marrow was taken in by the Morlocks, a band of grotesque-looking mutants who hid in tunnels beneath New York City. They took her in because of the way that she looks and because of this, it would forever alter her self esteem. Being told all her life that she was ugly or a monster doesn't tend to be kind to the psyche. I didn't find her all that horrifying. Even though I hadn't met many mutants with physical mutations, because they are more rare, it doesn't mean that I find this one to be shocking. I think what she has is beautiful in a way.

*****

A/N: I know that this one is super short but I figured cutting it off here would help give a good leeway (SP?) into the next chapter. I love you all to pieces! thanks for 20k reads!

QUESTION OF THE DAY: would you trust robots if they suddenly became sentient (think I Robot. The book more than the movie)

MY ANSWER: personally, I would. Yeah, I know not all of them are gonna be like Sunny, but there isn't always gonna be one evil one thats controlling all the rest.

It's a weird question, I know, but it's been floating in my mind.