Chapter Fourteen: Single and Solitary

Last Updated: Feb. 10th 2016

__________________

I know what it feels like to be drugged. (I was a accident prone kid, I had a few surgeries) That thick and heavy slowness of your body that makes you almost incapable of doing anything productive. It always frustrated me, not being able to talk coherently that is. At least, not until even the smallest bit of it works its out of your system.

The whole world sounded as if I was in a bubble that was floating on the ocean, it faded in and out like the fluid current. I could hear people around me, but I couldn't distinguish any specific voices or understand what they were saying. My eyes were not quite working yet, the only color my eyes could make out was a sooty brown.

Everything happened like it was one of those cliché crime dramas; when the person gets the crude black bag that was obscuring their view hastily ripped off of their head. The sudden light hurt blinded me, and my groggy eyes didn't help tone down the intenseness of it all either. I had to squeeze them shut just to get the uncomfortable thickness out of them and get adjusted to the light. They teared up from the sudden and painful blinks.

The person who was standing behind me walked around to stand in front of me. He was the one who had yanked me from the darkness my vision was encased in, .

He was tall and wore a rather tattered looking dark blue suit. He had a grizzled completion and obviously hadn't cared much for his own appearance lately.

I realized at that moment that I had a choice: either to let my fear consume my conciseness, or to just shut it all out and give this guy hell. I sighed internally, I was tired of giving in to others. I guess I could play whatever little game this guy was planning. i flexed my arms agains the restraints I was imprisoned with. It was some kind of cloth as far as I could tell.

"Morning sunshine." The man said leaning in real close and bearing his teeth in an awful smile at me. It took a lot not to cough at the rancid breath that was blown into my face.

To my surprise, I could read this guys emotions and file, but my face must have given something away.

"You're no threat with your mutation" he said lazily, making me narrow my eyes. "In all reality, you're just a psychic. What are you gonna do, dazzle me with my past?" He sneered. I said nothing. Really, there was nothing I could say that would make him shut his damn mouth without sounding like an idiot. "we're not wasting some power suppressant on you."

His name's Marcus, people call him Kyle though which made me want to laugh. I mean come on... it is a pretty stupid nickname after all.

"Now, we're gonna have a little chat" Marcus said sitting down in the solitary chair that was across from mine in this dank little cubical of a room, "We're not gonna have a problem with you like we did with your friend over there, are we?" I ignored his comment even though I knew he wasn't bluffing.

"I'm only asking this once-" He said and I was quick to spit back a retort.

"I'm only answering once" I snapped sitting stiffly, glaring at him straight in the eye.

I saw the corner of his lip twitch upward and he shifted in his chair so he was leaning on his knees, inches from my face. I held my ground and I did not flinch as I struggled to maintain a steady breath.

"Where are your other little freak-show friends?" He said in a low, quiet voice. Was he talking about the people that got away? Because if so, I had no idea.

"I don't know" I said quietly, still not moving my gaze because the second I did so, I would be giving in to him and I didn't want to do that, "you'll have to be more specific" I added, tilting my chin up slightly in a pompous way.

He slammed down something on the table next to him and ripped me from my chair, dragging me half by my shirt and half by my hair. He walked around a wall that seemed to act as a divider creating small little cubical rooms in a huge space. On the other side of the divider was a door with a small window. He stopped me and we stood there struggling for a few moments until he had me in a hold that pinned my arms down and allowed him access to a fist full of my hair.

"Look" he snarled as I tried any desperate attempt to leave his grasp. "I said look dammit!" He hissed into my ear forcing my head to the glass by my hair.

I stopped struggling for long enough to see what he wanted me to see and I could stop the cry that passed my lips when I saw the already hurt Tori cut, bruised and mangled in a corner.

"We got your little leaders" he breathed into my ear, "They're around four or five of you?" He said more like a statement than a question, licking his lips out of what seemed like habit. "Where are your other hideouts little missy?" He repeated his question from earlier and I couldn't help myself from pointing that out.

"Thought you were only gonna ask that once" I said barely in a whisper and I saw something flash in his eyes and I read it through my mutation as rage, but he calmed it quickly.

I ended up being dragged again down a new hallway. After awhile I stopped fighting. It made it harder for him because he had to drag my full weight.

I was eventually thrown into what first glance had told me was cell. Single and solitary.

Now that's when the whole cliche crime drama stops, because usually they say some snarky comment and then slam the huge wrought iron door, but Marcus did none of that. He just left.

I had landed on my hip, it wasn't broken, but it would definitely leave one of those nasty melted-crayon box colored bruises. I pushed myself up, swearing a rather colorful melted-crayon box array of profanities. Looking around I saw my cell was only occupied by myself, but I was not the only cell in the area. Others were watching me with sadness on their faces, piled in their own cells with three or four to a small space. Sometimes they got their own, but I only saw one other person by themselves as well.

I curled up tightly, trying to ignore the looks I was getting when I felt something hit my foot. It was small, but it got my attention. I stopped it with my hand smiling slightly when my fingers curled around that stupid little bright green ball that I had entertained myself with a few days back.

**********

A/N:I am awful. I'm so sorry I didn't update for awhile! I am not gonna lie and say I've been super busy, but at least I haven't neglected it!

Anyway we reached 2K!!! You guys are seriously wonderful!

Question of the day: who do you think would Josephine would be cast as? I'm curious to see what you guys see her as.

I kinda see we as a toss up of Gemma Ward and Teresa Palmer....except with blonde curls :)