Chapter Nine: Moms

Updated: Feb. 7th 2016

****

I was quietly fuming as I made my way home. Since I have my license but I don't have a car, I had to take an array of uncomfortable busses and pay this one cab like fifty dollars just to take me the rest of the way there... let's just say that those situations didn't really help with my mood.

No one was home when I got there so I decided to stake it out on the couch in the living room. I was there for maybe a good ten minuets, enjoying the silence until I heard the door open and the sound of keys being placed in a glass bowl that always held the keys. The figure of my mom stood in the door frame to the living room as she took off her coat. She nearly jumped out of her skin when she saw me lounging on the sofa.

"Hey" I said with a slight smile, amused by her reaction.

"Y-you're back?" she asked in a shaky voice, wringing her hands out of nerves as she stood there with a tight posture.

"What the hell happened?" I demanded in a calm tone, pulling my feet off the coffee table and leaning forward, placing my elbows on my knees.

"What do you mean?" she asked, her eyes flitting around. I rolled my eyes. She's always been a terrible liar. Although, I guess certain mutations do have their social advantages.

"Please don't act stupid because I know you're not." I said, pinching the bridge of my nose as I shook my head.

"They took her" she said in a whisper not meeting my eyes. My mother has always been skittish around me, but it's never been this bad. Maybe it was a traumatic event after all.

"Where, Susanna?" I asked, using her first name.

"I don't know" she said in a frantic voice. "Arnold found out-" I spoke up, cutting her off. My gaze held intent. So many possibilities raced though my mind.

"Found out what?" she looked up at me now, obviously gaining more confidence.

"Lorna is only your half sister" She it said like it was building up inside her for a long time. Like a pot of boiling water finally bubbling over. A silence fell over the room creating a thick atmosphere and my chest tightened.

She looked to almost be in tears. "I'm so sorry Josie" she whispered again and in that instance, she actually felt like the person who was my mother before I reached the age of 12.

"Whose her father?" I asked calmly, taking the edge out of my voice entirely. She just shook her head as the tears that had welled up in her eyes cascaded down her cheeks.

"Either you tell me or I look for myself" I threatened. 

When she said nothing I sighed. I took me a split second to search her the "files" of her life because I knew what I was looking for. It was an affair and she didn't even know his name, only his last which was Eisenhardt. It all happened the year I was first diagnosed as a mutant. Those informational seminars she claimed to be going to turned out to be a little more one-on-one than I had previously thought. 

Infuriated, I stood snatching up my jacket and I started to walk out pausing right in front of her.

"If she's hurt- even a little scratch" I said in a low voice. "You best hope you can run" I finished storming out.

****

My family had three cars. One is my mothers the other is obviously my fathers and the third one was intended for me, but they had shipped me off so I guess they figured I wouldn't need it. Well now I needed it.

I know they say never to drive angry, but I could make an exception for now. I wasn't as furious as I was earlier, I had let time cool that one off. I just had to find my sister... Family is kind of an obligation, ya know?

I knocked on the green door in front of me and was greeted by a certain redhead. I could tell Wanda was upset and I had the urge to read her, but I thought better of it and decided not to.

"Josephine?" Wanda said. I frowned slightly, usually I got a smile accompanied by a hug from my enthusiastic friend.

"Is Pete home? I asked, shrugging off her weird greeting and dismal mood.

She bit her lip, shifting her weight. "Maybe right now is not a good time." She said and I tilted my head. I've never been denied entrance to the Maximoff household before.

"Is everything okay?" I asked with concern, trying to peer over her shoulder.

To answer my question somewhere in the house I heard a crash and two-sided shouting accompanying it. Wanda cringed and I took the opportunity to slip past her, ducking under her arm and making my way toward the source of the noise.

The majority of my childhood had been spent in this house with these people so their problems felt like mine. Walking into the kitchen I stopped when I saw Magda (their mother) leaning her back on the counter with her arms crossed and Peter was pacing back and forth at a human speed.

"Because you just can't" she said and her gaze flicked over to me, stopping her in mid-sentence.

Peter noticed this and turned his head to see what she was looking at. When he saw me he started to walk out toward me, snagging my elbow. I followed close behind.

"Is everything okay?" I asked once we were outside.

"Yeah, everything's fine- what are you doing out?" He asked.

"Family stuff" I replied shrugging. He smiled at my answer. I always gave when it came to my personal issues.

"Lorna?" He assumed and I nodded.

"What do you know about all that?" I asked and I saw something flicker in his expression. "Peter..." I warned.

He sighed. "I need to go see Charles" he said finally.

*****

Hey guys! Sorry for the short chapter! anywho I want to say a big thanks to everyone who has commented, it really helps me know if you guys like it and what I could do better. Also I'm going on vacation next Saturday (I'll definitely have another chapter of two out by then) In case I forget to tell you guys Now you know! I'm going to Hawaii :D

Also a disclaimer: I own none of the characters except for Josephine. yes that means even the tiniest characters belong to marvel! :)

Question of the day: if you had any mutation, what would it be and why?

I would would want telepathy like Charles! the stuff he can do man... Just imagine!