Chapter Six: A Lovely Goodbye

^Jean^ 😊

Last Updated Feb. 6th 2016

***

I didn't even say a goodbye to my mother as I shut the car door behind me. The long ride to the school was particularly awkward because neither of us were willing to start a conversation. I would have driven myself but my parents didn't think it would be wise to leave my car there for months at a time.

Looking around I saw other kids unpacking their cars with suitcases and other related items. There had to be at least thirty of them just out here. Some of them where younger than me, others where approximately the same age as myself.

As I Hoisted my bag over my shoulder I felt like an outsider here, but I shook it off, it was only the first day after all. I was determined to keep a positive attitude about this whole thing.

There were maps posted on the walls that led into a foyer inside the building and large crowds had crammed around them to try and figure out just where the heck they were going. I decided against trying my luck at getting to the map, so I just took a detour to a different (and smaller) group of kids.

There were registry desks that had various staff at them working to sign kids in and get them to where they needed to go. I lugged my stuff over to a neat-ish pile of suits cases other people's things just so I didn't have to carry it with me the whole time.

Standing in line was quiet and strange because the whole time that I spent standing there I got to read about some of my peers around me. I was mostly interested in their mutations. There were all sorts, some of them were purely mental mutations and others involved some kind of physical aspect. Every once in awhile I would accidentally intrude on their memories due to the relation between what triggered their mutations and the mutation itself. I hated doing it because I never meant to. Looking into someone's past meant I felt everything that they felt which was sometimes painful or overwhelming.

Time passed, and over what seemed like a lifetime, I found myself giving my name to a rather uncomfortable looking woman with flitting eyes and worry lines on her brow. From what I could read on her she was human and she was not particularly here by choice. Serving as the in-school nurse, her name was Annie Ghazikhanian (I just read it, there was no way I was attempt saying it) and she had a son going here. She just needed the work and the school needed a nurse.

"Josephine Dane" I said and I watched her look up my name.

"Room 106" she said, her shaky finger tracing my name over to the tiny number next to it. I gave her a quick smile and got out of the line as fast as I could. I snagged my bag and walked up the stairs and past the cluster of people. The foyer comprised of nice red carpet and wooden floors as well as a rather large staircase that split off into to ways. I stood there unsure where to go until one kid who was jogging downs the stairs after a friend noticed my confusion.

"Dorms are to the left" he said as he passed me. I turned to say a thank you but he was already out the door.

I meandered up the stairs only enter a maze of corridors, looking at every door for good ol' number 1-0-6. Once I found it I threw the crippling suitcase off my shoulder and watched it hit the ground with a satisfying thump. I gazed around the cozy looking room with a plush red furnished bed, mahogany walls and a quaint wardrobe. I noticed a stack of papers on the nightstand that included a map, class schedule, rules and procedures.

As I sat there on my bed reading the classes that I would be attending, I realized that I hadn't shut my door. In result, a head poked around the corner.

"Hello?" the head asked and a body appeared along with it. A girl my age with red hair and a young, pretty complexion smiled at me. She intrigued me immediately. When she saw someone was actually in the room she stepped in the rest of the way.

"Hi!" She said and I examined her with curiosity. Her name was Jean Grey and I frowned slightly when as my mind started to wander towards some of her history I quickly shut my eyes when the horrific event that had triggered her mutation starter to creep up on me I wiped my mind in order to keep the memory from entering my mind all together. She also had her curiously long list of mutations, nevertheless, she seemed like a mellow person and I appreciated that.

I smiled in hello and set the multitude of papers down on my bed. "Hi, Jean is it?" I wasn't used to meeting new people because I always had Peter.

Jean tilted her head in surprise, but made no mention of the fact that I knew her name and I kicked myself for letting that slip "Yeah, I'm next door, just wanted to say hi." She said leaning on my door frame. Sticking her thumb in some direction. "You're a telepath?" She asked.

Shaking my head I added a shrug for good measure. "I'm not sure really. I just know things about people."

She nodded, not wanting to pry. I was really starting to like this girl which was odd because my gender has always been painfully annoying to me.

*****

Hello again friends! I want to say a big old thank you to everyone! Just for even clicking on my story! I try to stick with the facts from the comics as much as I can, like the reasons Jean is here and not Kitty or other things too. please comment or follow!

Hugs and butterfly kisses!

-Em

Question of the day: like the popular shipping of the Black Widow and Hawkeye is there a shipped pair that bugs you the most?

Mine is "clintasha" like I mentioned above... think Nat is WAY to independent and quite honestly, even their romance in the comics was usually due to emotional manipulation... Anyhoo I'm just ranting... Lol love y'all!