Chapter Thirty Three: Explinations

I woke up with a headache one morning, it was likely due to dehydration. I was refusing the majority of food and water that was offered to me, mostly because the person bringing it to me was Phoebe. But whenever someone else came I accepted the offer. It had been three days now and I often wondered if there was a purpose for me being here besides to serve as a sort of play thing.

Rubbing my temples, I stood up and walked to the small barred window, watching tiny snowflakes descend from the sky and pile up an the small ledge nearly making my view of the outside completely white. My gaze fell to the floor, eyeing the glass of water that set there was for me. I clenched my fist, feeling my nails dig into my palm as I willed myself to resist.

Just as I shut my eyes to stop looking at my tormentor, the door swung open and a very exhausted looking Phoebe stood before me. Her eyes where blood shot and there was a purple bruise on her upper arm. I have to admit, it was hard not to crack a smile at her appearance.

"I need your help" she said slightly out of breath.

"I already told you I'm not helping you or your little cause" I said folding my arms.

"It's not about that this time" she said getting annoyed at me. "It's about your friend"

My demeanor instantly fell and I took a few steps toward her. "Who else did you take?"

"The insane one" she said, waving her hand as if too lazy to fully describe them. I knew who she was referring to and I pushed past her, racing into the hall. "Up the stairs and to the left" she said as I half walked- half ran own the hallway.

The lights that lit up the facility where fluorescent and hurt my eyes, they cast everything in a meek greenish glow. Nearly the whole structure was made out of same the concrete that my cell had been, even the stairs.

There where people in lab coats and some in security garb gathered around what seemed to be a glass observation room. I couldn't see my friend inside because of all the people, but I pushed past regardless. They seemed to have known I was coming and cleared up a path for me. Wanda was huddled in the corner, her hands placed firmly over her ears, trying to block out the world. There was a choking sound coming from on of the men in a sterile white jacket. I looked from him to my friend and knelt down in front of her, taking her hands in mine, trying getting her attention from what ever world she was in.

"Wanda, sweetheart, you can't kill him, okay? I know this isn't where you want to be right now, but you have to stop" I pleaded.

"I want my brother" she whispered, looking into my eyes as if I could get him.

"I know honey, so do I, but we have to make due for right now. Can you let that man go for me?" I asked patiently, as if talking to a child.

The man behind me stopped his sputtering and gasped loudly, as if choking on the air that now could reach his lungs.

"Everyone out!" I heard phoebe say to all her people. "We've got it under control."

I shut my eyes, trying control my tempter at her words. After everyone shuffled out I turned to queen bitch herself. "Wanda, could you get the door please" I said to quietly and as requested, the door slammed shut making Phoebe jump.

"What are you doing?" she asked with poorly masked fear.

"You and I are going to have a little chat, you wouldn't happen to have a chair, would you Wanda?" I asked and she brought her hand up and seemed to pull two folding chairs from nowhere. I gestured for Phoebe to sit and with shaking hands, she obliged.

"What where you doing to my friend?"  I asked, I a dead calm voice.

"We weren't doing anything, just observations. She kept asking for her bother and she became more and more adamant. Nothing we did could make her stop. She kept pulling things out of nowhere, dangerous things like knives and syringes. That shouldn't be possible."

"Oh, no it's possible you just don't understand. Wanda's telekinetic as well as being able to see and manipulate reality. But that's not what I wanted to talk about since you wont let me in that pretty little head of yours, I just want to know why you're kidnapping people."

She looked at me with a baffled expression. "We're not kidnapping people, we're saving those who are most at risk for experimentation, who do you think got all of those people, including your sister, out of that facility in Arizona?"

My mouth dropped open slightly, "how-"

"Those where people who used to work with my father. They wanted more research on mutants and they didn't care if it was illegal or not. Your sister, for example was an experiment to find out if they could kick start a mutation before it develops naturally."

"But Erik..."

"Erik Lehnsherr was there because he was not aware of what was going on there."

"You came to the school with people who had guns-"

"Non-lethal ammunition" she countered and I narrowed my eyes.

"Well How were we supposed to take it?" I shot at her "oh look, a bunch of people are here with guns and they are rounding us up in the middle of the night just to talk? Let's listen to everything they have to say."

"Look, I don't expect you to understand, you're brash and always think you're the noble hero, but we are not your enemy-"

"Prove it" I said quickly, finding an opportunity "let us go."

"I can't" she said and I rolled my eyes.

"That's a bullshit answer, yes you can."

"Well, I could let you out, but not her."

"Why the hell not?"

"Her father" Phoebe said, crossing her arms clearly not fearing me anymore. It peeved me slightly not to have a hand above her anymore. One of the only advantages I had over her was the small part of her brain that told her to be afraid of me and now that it was gone it felt like I had next to no leverage.

"Her father I can deal with. Someone is gonna end up seriously hurt if you keep her like a bird in a cage."

"I want to see my brother" Wanda muttered, still curled in the corner.

Phoebe looked over at her, chewing in her lip. "Every mutant here is here by choice expect you two, it's a safer place than your school."

"Listen to me" I began in a serious tone "you are going to let us go. Then you're coming back to the institute and speaking with the professor, do you understand me?" I said, staring her hard in the eye.

She swallowed and hesitantly nodded. I could practically watch her mind work through her decision.

"Good" I smiled "Now you guys wouldn't happen to have a telepath in your facility, would you? I would like to phone a friend."

_____________________________

A/N: after much road block and a family funeral I had to attend, I finished this chapter!

You guys learned sooo much in this chapter and I just wanna let you know that this story will we wrapping up in the near-ish future!

thanks for the support you guys, it means the world to me!

Question of the day: who's side are you on for civil war?

for those who don't know the sides/ standings the U.S. Government proposed the Superhuman Registration Act, intending to register all super-powered beings as living weapons of mass destruction and requiring all costumed heroes to unmask themselves before the government and subject themselves to federally mandated standards.

Tony Stark: thinks the mutant registration is a good thing to protect the public and so they feel secure know who their hero's are

Captain America: thinks its negative to force people to be labeled as weapons as it could hurt their personal lives and ruin them as super hero's