Prologue

HIM

"Thanks for stepping in, Jeong Hyeok."

The handsome man smiled at his friend, who was currently trying to keep his nerves at bay. Park Tae-Soo and Lee Jeong Hyeok were currently standing in the waiting area of the venue where Park Tae-Soo will soon by tying the knot with his long time love, Kong Hyo-Jin.

Park Tae-Soo looked dashing in his impeccable suit but he kept flicking the imaginary dust away. Jeong Hyeok took the opportunity to tease him. "Stop it. Your suit is perfect."

"I'm nervous."

"I can tell," Jeong Hyeok returned, sarcastically. "There's nothing to be worried about. I hear she's crazy about you."

Park Tae-Soo sighed at the thought of his bride and tried to hide a satisfied smile.

"She has terrible taste in choosing you. But it seems like she's going to stick with you anyway," Jeong Hyeok couldn't help but tease.

"Hey!" Tae-Soo said.

Jeong Hyeok laughed. "That's my revenge for asking me to be your best man at the last minute."

Park Tae-Soo suddenly looked contrite. "I apologise, my friend. You know that I truly wished for my brother to be my best man. But his wife is giving birth, I could not demand that he prioritise may plans in life."

Jeong Hyeok patted the other man in his shoulders. "Don't worry about it." He made a move to head out and stand in position near the altar, but Tae-Soo pulled him back.

"She's here," Tae-Soo said.

Jeong Hyeok immediately understood. Nodding, he smiled at his friend to assure Tae-Soo that everything was fine. "I expected as much. She is, after all, Hyo-Jin's best friend."

"Are you going to be alright?"

Jeong Hyeok scoffed. "Of course. Now, let's go before Hyo-Jin changes her mind."

Tae-Soo narrowed his eyes at Jeong Hyeok but followed him out to the altar where they stood to wait.

In every wedding, the bride is always the most beautiful woman in the room because of the radiance that comes from a happy heart. But, to Jeong Hyeok, the woman who marched ahead of the bride that day came very, very close.

To Jeong Hyeok, she was always the most beautiful in any room and the years of separation has not changed that opinion of his.

Yoon Se-Ri's beauty guaranteed appreciative glances from the wedding guests. Her blush coloured, off-shoulder chiffon gown accentuated her long neck and perfect shoulders and complimented her face that has minimal makeup. Her natural elegance cast a magic spell to everyone who looked on as she walked.

Their eyes met as soon as she stepped into the aisle to make her way towards the front. Part of Jeong Hyeok felt like he should look away, but he was not able to. He couldn't do so before and he still could not do so now.

If things had turned out well, they would have been in the couple that was going to promise forever to each other that day.

But life had other plans.

And now he and his ex-fiancée stood at the altar watching their closest friends get married.

Jeong Hyeok listened to the vows. To love and cherish, in sickness and in health, 'til death do us part. He sighed. Was forever reserved only for some couples and not others?

He stole a look at Se-Ri and saw her sigh. Was she thinking the same thing? He wondered. She must have felt his gaze on her because she turned slightly and caught his eye. Se-Ri bowed in recognition then turned her gaze back to the altar and Jeong Hyeok followed suit. 

He sighed again. As in all those times that they met, his heart still skipped a beat upon seeing her.  But he followed his heart before and ended up burned. Maybe this time, he needed to play it safe.

 Maybe this time, he needed to play it safe