Chapter 16 - Like I'm Gonna Lose You

Se-Ri and Jeong Hyeok ended up with a dog... each. Se-Ri always wanted a teacup maltese so when they found one who captured her heart at the pet shop, there was no discussion. She got it at once. "Hello! I love you already," she cooed. "What's your name, little miss?"

Jeong Hyeok patted the little dog on her hands. "She looks like a 'Mina'."

At the sound of that, the maltese perked up and gave a happy bark making Se-Ri and Jeong Hyeok laugh.

"Mina it is, then!" Se-Ri declared. "I love you, Mina. I love you!"

They still continued on to the rescue shelter where they met and fell in love with a young german shepherd. "He has been abandoned by his owners and has been lonely ever since. He eats but only barely."

Jeong Hyeok's heart ached for the pup who was cowering at the corner, looking at them with hesitant eyes. When he took a treat and opened his palm, the dog's ears perked up and slowly made his way to Jeong Hyeok. When Se-Ri joined him, they were positive he was smiling. Turning to Se-Ri, Jeong Hyeok asked, "Can we get him as well?"

"Of course! Of course!" Se-Ri assured. "What shall we name him?"

"How about you name him? I came up with Mina," Jeong Hyeok suggested. To the dog, he said, "Would you like that? Mommy will name you, okay?"

Giddily, Se-Ri said, "Then, we'll call him Max. Max and Mina. You'll love your baby sister won't you, Max?"

Woof! Max barked in agreement. 

"Good boy. Good boy. Now, let's get you out of here,"Se-Ri said.

They kept the dogs apart first and made the introductions slowly. Max, however, was immediately curious about Mina and seemed to want to look at her. Mina, for her part, was more careful about the much larger canine. 

When it was time to part, with Jeong Hyeok and Max dropping off Se-Ri and Mina at her apartment,  Max kept howling not wishing to leave them. "We'll be back," Jeong Hyeok promised Max but he didn't seem to want to leave.

"Stay," Se-Ri suggested. 

"Me or him?" Jeong Hyeok asked, pointing to himself and then Max.

Se-Ri chuckled. Still cuddling Mina, she replied, "Max. But you're welcome to stay, too."

The arrangement turned out to be beneficial because the next day he had an important meeting to go to and had to leave Max with Se-Ri anyway. "I'll be back for him later. Then, we have to go home buddy. Okay?"

Max ignored him, already busy watching Mina and what she was up to. "Go. I'll see you later," Se-Ri said, waving him away so she could play with the pups.

It was a short drive to the location. 

The elderly gentleman was already seated when Jeong Hyeok arrived. "Good morning, Mr. Yoon."

"Lee Jeong Hyeok, it's been awhile," Yoon Keun-Suk said. 

"How have you been, Sir?"

Yoon Keun-Suk waved off the small talk. "Let's get straight to the point and do away with the pleasantries. We have much to do. Now, what did you want to speak to me about?"