Chapter 25 - That's How Strong My Love Is

~~~

I used to feel kinda lonely
'Cause the world it can be so fake
And all that matters I'm telling you
Is you and me only
And the fortunes of love we make

~~~

Se-Ri was headed to an awards' show the following night. The days leading up to these things were usually chaotic with final preparations being made -- did she want changes to the makeup look or her hair, checking if the dress was looked good in all angles, was it impeccable, what to do about the weather conditions that might blow the skirt.

She would be lying if she said she did not like this part. For her, there was still something nice about being dolled up. However, the older she got, Se-Ri learned the joy of heading home, kicking off her shoes, taking off her makeup, eating burgers and fries and then sleeping after each show.

When she and Jeong Hyeok were separated, as grateful as she was for the awards she won and all the congratulatory messages from friends and colleagues, there was an unshakeable emptiness that engulfed her when she was in the quiet of her apartment. The trophy was a beautiful thing to see on her shelf but it didn't keep her warm at night.

It reached the point where, even if she was fiercely guarded about her personal life, she would sometimes slip and tell certain interviews that she felt lonely. "Just because I have a happy acting life doesn't mean I am happy personally."

Se-Ri was grateful to everyone who helped and supported her through all of those challenges. She had a loyal team around her, great friends from before she was famous and a few very nice people she worked in the industry with, and she would never forget that she had always been loved by her parents. For all their recent troubles, Se-Ri would not be where she was if her parents did not fiercely love her.

Now, this was a new phase that life had prepared her for.

She smiled at the knowledge that, even though she would be walking the red carpet alone, she would go home that night to someone who loved her as much as she did him.

"Care to share what you're thinking of?" his deep, silky voice broke through her thoughts.

Looking at the mirror, since she could not turn around while the makeup team was fussing with  her face checking for non-existent blemishes to cover, she beamed at the love of her life. Jeong Hyeok was leaning by the doorway in a blue suit that was tailor-fit for him, making him look like a model. Better than some, in her opinion.

She was astounded that her heart still skipped a beat when he was near. "Nothing. I was just looking forward to the movie we'll be watching after the awards show."

The team was finally done, allowing Jeong Hyeok to approach her and give her a quick peck on the cheek. "I'll be rooting for you. I hope you win."

"The other actresses gave solid performances. I wouldn't mind losing to them... but... it would be nice to win for this," Se-Ri admitted. It was her passion project and the first one done in collaboration with her agency.

It was also the project where she and Jeong Hyeok had their first major spat.

The production entailed additional funds to shoot one scene that was vital to the story. "It seems excessive, Se-Ri. For one scene?"