CHAPTER 5 - Dark stranger

Annika's

Shivay stands a few inches away, his face a poker.

I close my eyes, praying that he didn't see the book, praying it's something else he's waiting for.

Not. The. book.

Please god.

I'll offer you all the coconuts and sweets you want, just not the book.

If he sees the book, all the work I've been putting since last year would be a waste.

The entire office would mock me, their boss reading a romance novel when she herself talks of her thousand-hour work schedule.

At this point, it's better if he just walks out without a word.

But one tiny peek tells me, he's there, standing still.

The sky should just fall on my head right away. It certainly doesn't.

But I think I do.

As shivay is double as he mumbles my name. The wall-shaking. The rainbow curtains -a disco mix as I fall.

****

Before she hit the ground, Shivay held her up. Her breathing heavy, her eyes dark and wandering.

"Annika, breathe. Annika!" He placed her down on her blanket. He rushed to the mini-fridge and removed a water bottle.

"Annika, get up!" He poured tiny droplets of water on her face but that doesn't work.

In a few seconds though, he noticed her breathing going normal. He sits beside her then, running his hand through her dark brunette curls.

"I do like the waves better," he said, curling a particular strand around his fingers.

"Hmm?" She asked in a daze.

***

He moved approximately 3 feet back as she replied, scared for the volcano that would erupt right then, right there.

But she doesn't get up. As he bends closer, he sees she's talking in an unconscious stupor. Wherein she's conscious but not awake. Listening but not really listening.

"Phew good," he let out a breathe, "At least, you're okay."

"Nothing's wrong with me. I'm Annika Singh Oberoi!" she pulled the blanket closer.

"Yeah you are," Shivay grinned, tucking her tight.

He finally got up to leave. But Annika stopped him, grabbing the hand he used to tuck her in.

"Don't."

"What?"

"Don't tell them about the book."

Shivay looks up in confusion, "Don't tell whom?"

"The office," she whispers, "they won't listen to anything I say otherwise."

"Pinky promise,"

"I don't know what that means. But okay. If you keep this a secret, I'd tell you another," she pulled him close by his arm, to whisper in his ear, "I love-Rasgullas."