CHAPTER 3

"You have to be here- yes, Annika is fine, but you know she needs you right?" Shakti's arm stretched to his pockets, "She's been getting nightmares now. Since she left for California."

"Yes, of course, she doesn't miss a dose of medicine, but she keeps questioning me about them, so I had to get them mixed into her meals. I hope she gets well soon."

In the next few seconds, the conversation heated, ending with a slammed phone on the table. One of the reasons Shakti Singh Oberoi made sure he was in a locked room while his calls. Picking up his files, he left the study.

"Mr.Oberoi," the maid entered the hall with a tray full of refreshments, berries, and other citrus.

Shakti turned to take his cup of tea, "Any news of Rudra's Arrival?"

"Yes sir, he's returning this afternoon."

"And Annika?"

"Sir, she's been shopping at the boutique. She will be back any minute now," the maid responded, looking at the floor.

Just then, a driver walked in, his hands strained with flashy shopping bags, sweating all over.

Shakti eyed the maids for assistance. Two of them, Ashna and Sudha took the bags from his hands while Karan got a glass of water for his father.

Annika followed, more bags hanging on her wrists. Her lips curved into a smile as she saw her dad.

"Papa."

"Anika."

Anika ran to hug him. They parted soon enough as Shakti asked her about her sudden shopping. Anika started to show him the gifts she bought for him.

Shakti preferred working at night, so he hadn't seen Anika the day before when she returned from California.

"Beta, what was the need to bring all of this ?"

"Papa, since mom left, you never shop for yourself. Your closet looks the same since I remember. Look, I've got you some shoes, a blazer and some new socks for your business trips, you could take these to Denmark, next week. You'd outpass every dad there," She nodded proud of her choice.

"Annika, I don't need it beta. My closet is already full of so many clothes. Half of which I do not wear."

"Papa, please! I have the rights of being your only daughter and you can't deny me, I'll call the lawyers right now."

Shakti smiled still wary. He ordered the maids to keep the bags in his room.

It wasn't like Shakti Singh Oberoi didn't like to have the richness the world had to offer but his habit of saving money, deprived him of desiring such things.

Shakti changed with due course of time. From a rusty and rude businessman in his youth, he turned into a calm saint-like being.

"Aaj Jo tum aagayee, samjho ek Bahaar aayi hain," sang a rough, immature voice.

( Today, now that you're here, it's like spring again )

As she heard his voice, she turned to look for it.

"Rudra!?!!?!" Anika ran. She screamed, bringing the entire Oberoi Mansion to crumbles. Rudra was Anika's cousin brother. With him around, Anika acted like a five-year-old.

"Annika Didi," Rudra called out, matching her energy.

Rudra Singh Oberoi was a naughty Devil in the shape of a muscleman.

Rudra raised his hand forward, Annika understood. Kids often had a fun snippety routine whenever they greeted each other. Rudra and Anika also had one when they were younger, except now they were adults. If there was anything Anika adapted to sooner after the accident, it was Rudy and his quirks.