CHAPTER 6

~ Then

He grazed her hand with a glistening ring, expecting her to burst or scream. But she was silent.

"Annika. I'm tired of searching for reasons to stay here. Tired of hiding you in my room, from mom-from dad-from this world and that- may be the stupidest reason to convince you to marry me. But it is one out of the other million reasons, that will take a lifetime to express. So be mine," his pearl eyes, showering promises of that lifetime- of adventure, of joy, of a home in him.

She stood shellshocked. He was supposed to be on a business trip. Not here in her room. Not down on one knee. She wasn't ready for this. Still a statue she swallowed, glad her roommate was away. Or maybe that was also Shivay's doing.

She was grateful anyway, for this special moment was between two- him and her.

"Yes," she smiled, tearing up. After placing the ring, he picked her up and swung her around, as she screamed in joy.

****
Now

"Shivay. A spy," my mouth tastes bitter with the rhyme in the two words.

I always scolded my assistant, whenever she made a mistake. I've made her nearly perfect at all the perks of her job.
Yet. This time, some part of me is hoping she's entirely wrong about this situation.

I lay my head on the glass desk. Sweating right below the Air Conditioning. Why would Shivay lie?

And Om. He lied to me! for Shivay.
Who. is. he?
I have never heard of this name from Omkara's mouth before.

Now all of a sudden, it's all Shivay, Shivay, Shivay!

"Aghhh, I'm sick of you Shivay!" I scream.

That's when someone comes through the door, "Ma'am-"

Shivay.

"Ever heard of knocking?" I raise my eyebrows higher than I ever have.

He steps back, speaking words that aren't an apology. I can see him waiting for a response, nodding his head.

But all I can think of is last night and the damn book and all these questions itching me. Did he tell everyone about yesterday? Is that why they're not here?

***

Annika stares at Shivay's face, as one stares at the sky, trying to guess its exact color. Shivay holds her gaze, drilled in his position. Condescending thoughts unraveling in both of their minds. One's perplexed by the other. The other is lost trying to find the one.

Annika clears her throat, looking away, "What happened yesterday-"

"What happened yesterday?"

"At my house, yesterday- the thing with that book,"

Shivay furrowed his eyebrows, "What book?"

Annika was so confused by every line that came out of this man's mouth.

"Oh," she smiled, "So you're going to make me say it!"