CHAPTER 8 - One step closer to the truth

"Tomorrow? Aah no-" I speak up.

"Don't worry. We have arranged for such sudden plans," Tarun reassured, standing to leave, "you just have to be there- at the airport."

"Um, okay then," I smile, trying to be optimistic.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow?" I nod in response as he narrows out of the office.

I sit back, trying to make a mental list for this very un-scheduled event when Shivay gets up, towards the doors.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"To do my work," his left eye flinches as he speaks. When I finally need him to stay he's leaving me alone.

"Your work is being my assistant. And I need assistance wherever I go for business purposes," Shivay just stares at me as I finish speaking,"

If I leave him here in my office, God knows what he will do with it. The amount of access he would get, without my supervision. Leaving him here is like giving the palace keys to the thieves. I need to keep this enemy closer than my friends.

I snapped my fingers before his numb figure, "What time should I pick you up then?"

"No, why don't I pick you up," he suggests with a perky smile, that doesn't look very positive.

I narrowed my eyes, "No, I don't want to go in your rusty car. I'll have my driver pick you up. Just tell me the address."

"NO," he said aloud, "I mean no, I'll pick you up tomorrow in my 'rusty car', then you can judge me throughout the ride and I already know where you live so,"

"But I-"

"Laters, boss," He escaped the intense questioning he knew I was bound to do.

"This man is crazy."

****

"Zoe, Call Mr. Gupta and ask him about the expenses. Send Peehu some flowers and a bonus this month. Also, keep a stamped contract ready and send it to my house by the night," I was about to leave when I remembered, "Oh, also send me Lakshman's number."

"The computer expert?" Zoe asked, doubtful.

"Yes."

"Alright ma'am, have a safe trip. I hope you crack the deal."

"I will, Zoe," I state as a matter of fact. She turns to leave, "Wait, I need you to update me every day. I need the stats, who's in and out of the office, I need the information on deals, shares, everything."

She tucks her hair back, "Yes, ma'am. I'll keep in touch with Shivay."

"Why? Just send me the info."

"No ma'am, the thing is- you're working on an important deal. These things will just distract you."

I smile, "I like that you're concerned but I need to know how my office is working as I am responsible for it, not Shivay. The office is named after Annika Singh Oberoi, not Shivay Singh Oberoi."

"You mean- Shivay Malhotra."

My mouth dries up, "Whatever. Follow the instructions and make sure this place doesn't burn down until my return."

"Yes ma'am," she answered.

****

I don't know why everyone thinks they are smarter than me. Why? I didn't reach CEO just like that. I'm qualified enough to know the consequences of the decisions I make and the ones I don't. I can't let Shivay have all that information- especially the statistics. I have to walk carefully beside this one.