Chapter 17 - An annoying mystery

I find the stairs, picking up the call, "Hello?" A deep, manly voice speaks.

I don't speak, waiting for his introduction.

"Ma'am, Lakshman speaking?" I pull the phone back to check if the contact reads Zoe. It is her office extension. Then who is this guy?

"I work in the IT department at your office. Zoe ma'am gave me some work a few days back. She told me to call you if I found something."

Ohh. The IT guy I hired. To find out about my mysterious assistant, "So? What did you find?"

He pauses for a second. Such a tell. Whatever he says next is going to be a lie.

"Nothing," he says, his voice unwavering.

I smile, "Are you sure, Lakshman?"

"Yes ma'am. His background is too clean. Like there is no information about him anywhere."

"Okay, nothing related to his surname too? Like we had an opponent with that surname? Is he one of them?"

"No. That's the thing. He is nowhere near any Shivay Malhotras. None of his assets are named after him. They are chained to someone named, SSO."

"SSO," my eyes narrow. What could that stand for? So......No. That's another day's problem. At least now I know he's not conspiring with the enemy. That still leaves the card...

Shivay...Why is he so mysterious?

"Ma'am?" Lakshman calls, snapping me back to the still rusty hospital stairs.

"Yes," I clear my throat, "So keep digging. If you find anything, let me know. Thank you."

"Uh," He stutters, and I know why. I don't usually thank my employees. Not before, I didn't.

"Okay, then. Get back to work," regaining my stern voice.

"Yes ma'am," he said, ending the call.

I go back to where I left Gauri and the others. But there are none except Omkara, whom I am in no mood to talk to.

The canteen! The others must be there.

But as I take another step, I stumble.

"Annika!" Om catches onto my arm, steadying me on my feet.

"I-I haven't eaten since the flight. And to add- the concept of jetlag isn't doing me any favors," my hand is loosely drawing things in the air.

Om's eyes are wide but he doesn't say anything. He just helps me walk up to the canteen and vanishes leaving me at the doors before I can say anything. Weird. Everyone is weird.

Rudra is still ordering, judging the menu.

I gather all my remaining energy in settling in the table beside him, "Okay. Let's see the starters first," snatching the menu.

"So we will take some spring rolls, and those tiny cheesy things that melt as you put them in your mouth- cheese balls!" Gauri is hiding a smile as Rudy's jaw drops.