Chapter 11. The party awaits.

"Annika!" Shivay followed me, "Wait!"

I stopped, turning back to his face. It was so stunningly pale like he had barely slept. The sunlit sky slowly slid towards dawn.

I could see Shivay dodging his thoughts, considering his questions. He just shrugged them off, picking up a bag from the bench.

Shivay looked around, as if finding something, someone.

But what truly surprised me, was when he pulled me by my left wrist, taking me far from the bench as if it was cursed.

"What?" I tried to follow his eyes, but there was nothing but an empty bench there-

"Tarun dropped this for you," he passed it gently, and I tried to lighten up at his name if only to annoy Shivay a bit.

The brown paper bag had some business-related files and a fancy invitation.

It was an invite to a party tonight at a semi-western bar called Lipscani. Special Appearance by some rapper called Laughing, Laphone? No, Lafin.

This party, special appearance sounded dry, like a cheap attempt to win more partners but people would go for the free alcohol. I would, if I couldn't get it right here, right now.

But. . . . tonight would be more about strengthening a dangling deal. It will either make or break my future. Everything I do here, will make a statement, pave a path for my company. Even if the Gupta's refuse the deal at the end of the week, there would be other interesting offers on the table. So I have no choice but to go.

****

She merely nodded, another party to go to.

Shivay shook his head, his feet weren't steady as he spoke in a low voice, "You don't have to go, Annika. You're not well yet-"

"I want to go," she insisted.

"You're not okay. You couldn't walk properly in the morning!"

"Yes, I just teleported from the room to here Shivay," She sighed, "I can walk just fine alright."

He tsked, "Annika, what kind of childish tantrum is this?"

"Childish what- now? Mind yourself, I'm here for business Shivay, not sleeping around in my room."

"That business cannot be executed well if you're not well-rested and you know that. You should not risk it, Annika."

"I should not, or I cannot?" her words were salt, and Shivay the wound. And she kept salting him, again and again.

He knew he could not win against her. It was ironic as he was fighting in her favour. Which made winning and losing both feel like defeat.

"Whatever. Do what you want," he stepped back, scratching the back of his neck.

But she grabbed his arm, twisting him to face her. Her eyes were pure fire when she said," I'm not your responsibility Shivay."

"I never said you were," he matched her gaze.

"Then stop acting like I am. This-" she pointed to the space between them, which was barely a foot or two, "This space- stay beyond it. Don't try to-"

"I don't care. I don't care if you choose some business party over yourself. I don't care what you think about me. I don't care if you don't realize this situation we are in Annika. But things are different now," he pointed to the same space, that looked a lot smaller now, "Hell you'd not even realized when I shifted from ma'am to Annika," he exhaled.