Chapter 10 - The flight of daydreams and nightmares

As my head turned again and again, I saw it running behind me tirelessly. But I was sweating. I was getting too exhausted. My feet didn't stop though.

Annika, today is the day.

I ran and ran and ran, as it came closer and closer. Ahead, I could see an opening. Probably a cave.

But it was a cliff end, one I was running towards. I started crying as I ran, the fanged beast howling behind. I screamed until my lungs burned but. . but I felt a hand around my mouth.

As I tried to shake it off, it all went dark. Then it was white, and I was back in the plane again. . .

How.

One look at the hand answered that question. A dream. It had been a dream- no, a nightmare. I released a breath, pushing the hand away.

It was Shivay who was beside me. It was his hand.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, sleep still tugging me.

"Ah," he stuttered, "Your. . your hands were all over your neighbour. So the passenger beside wanted to exchange the seat, and the air hostess she saw me with you and assumed I'm-"

"What?"

"She thought we were together and requested me to shift," he sat back, loosening his seat belt, "Even in the air Annika you can't stop troubling me."

I almost hit him, when he spoke"Careful, one more complain and they will send you to economy."

I eyed him like a piranha.

He slid his own sleeping mask. But I didn't get sleep. My legs shaking, the beast still running behind me.

"Stop shaking your legs Annika!"

I rolled my eyes loud enough so that he could hear it before I stopped shaking them. But my breathing inched louder.

"Can you not-" he tsked, pulling down his mask.

"Breathe? You would love that wouldn't you?" But before he could throw in a response, an air hostess passed us, smiling as always.

I glanced at my watch before sinking back in my seat, my heart beating loud. It had been six hours on this plane. I slept for six hours straight. No wonder I needed rest. Five more to go.

Shivay called out to an air hostess, startling me.

"Yes sir?" She smiled wider, so courteous, it won't surprise me if she started bowing.

"Could I please get the menu?" That was when I realized how hungry I was. She nodded and brought the menu a few moments later.

"Hmm," he read the menu carefully, thoroughly checking every section.

"Put this focus on your work and the sky is the limit," I said, getting hungrier and hungrier.

His eyes moved to mine, gleaming wickedly. I suddenly wished my seat disintegrated far off. Even for business class, this was too close. Too close to him.

"I do focus, where do you think we are right now," he snobbed, returning to his menu inspection.

The sky. We were literally in the sky.

This was so stupid that I- I was out of a retort so I just snorted.

Thankfully, he moved back to his focussed reading of the food menu.

"Hmm," he rubbed his chin, "what are you having?"

"A grilled sandwich," I said almost too quickly.