CHAPTER 19 Our Secret

I, Annika Singh Oberoi should not be allowed to fight at all. There are many reasons why. For example, right now I am arguing with the man I kissed a few hours back.

And As I stand before him with a pointed finger, I am not really sure what I'm angry about.

My hand falls a million milliseconds later. I stare at the ground, regretting my sudden run for him. I continue to regret it, as he boops my nose, "Okay Ms. Pink."

"I'm not-" I roar, trying to look scary. But I look more like a weak doll.

"I'm not Ms.Pink," I speak in a lowered voice, "You see this arm. It wants to punch you so bad. Would Ms.Pink be able to punch you?"

"Go ahead, I won't stop you," he adds with a secret smile.

I close my fists to keep myself from hitting him. If only we did not have a live audience.

Oh, he knows what he's doing.

"What is happening?" Rudra whispers.

"I don't know but I like it," Gauri muses, looking shorter than usual standing beside Om and Rudra.

I turn my gaze to our third, fourth and fifth wheel, and they all slowly retreat," You know what, I shouldn't have gotten in your car in the first place. It's all" I look around searching for the scapegoat," It's all Gauri's fault."

"My fault?" She taps my shoulder, not enjoying our catfight anymore. The other two monkeys stand beside her, trying to understand the mess Shivay and I are weaving.

"You called him!" I accuse.

"I called him to pass a message to you, Annika," Gauri explained," I tried calling you. But you weren't picking up so I thought you must have slept off. Then I called Shivay to remind him to bring you here the next morning to sign for Uncle's discharge,"

"You know I trust you, Why didn't you just sign them for me?" I ask.

"Because," Om nods," The hospital has a strict policy about this. They won't hand their patient to anyone other than family. Especially one recently out of the ICU."

"Wait," Gauri shouts before I can respond. She has a deciphering look on like she is finally figuring it out. She studies us from top to bottom like a sleazy flirt, glaring at our dresses.

The same clothes we have been having since yesterday.

I steal a glance looking at Shivay, he does the same. Like we are hiding a secret.

Then I remember, we are.

"Om can we talk somewhere else-"

"Yes. Gauri I'm starving- my head does not feel so good," I say, right after him.

The three musketeers all hmm together, leaning against the wall.

I feel a heavyweight against my forehead as I lose focus, making my head spin. And I fall. The last thing I see is Gauri Kumari Sharma's smile turning into a sulk of horror.

*

Seven. Eight. Nine.

There are a total of nine stars in the night sky.

I rise up from the ground slowly. Where am I? There is nothing but greeny grass around me.

How did I come here? I was in the hospital last I know.

A wild noise erupts, like static, ringing loudly.

I hold my hands to my ears to stop it but the noise is coming from within. I hear a faint knock, that becomes stronger by the second until it is the only sound I hear. My eyes flutter open and find myself staring into a portal of sorts.