CHAPTER 7 - The new guy

The cupboard opened with a squeak. Annika coughed as rings of dust spilled from within. She never opened this cupboard before, for some reason whenever she tried to open it, the key was always lost. Once, she even decided to break it yet she never went through with it as it's Gauri's.

But today, it was unlocked -this set of wooden doors in the far corner of her room. She wondered who opened it. Maybe one of the janitors wanted to clean it. Good for her as she hoped to find an extra pair of clothing. This office belonged to Gauri when she lived back here, managing this branch.

Plastic-wrapped pantsuits and a few other dresses were neatly placed in a corner. She grabbed one out, choosing a darker shade quickly. Above, some books were kept alongside a glowing neon box. Too tacky to have been Gauri's. But Annika opened it anyway. It had several ear studs, anklets, a few long earrings, and a single ring.

Annika stared at the box, questioning the need for anything from it. She closed it up with a huff and unwrapped the suit carefully.

When she was done wearing it, she opened the tiny box again.

Earrings? An anklet full of colorful bells? No, never for a business meeting.

But that ring. It was beautiful. Chiche. Its shadows expanding into several multiples. A simply complicated thing.

So she unclasped it, pulling it off. She rolled it in her hand, observing it. She held it above each finger, measuring. She had to wear it, to see if it fit.

So she began from the thumb- where it was a little too tight. It was loose on her middle and index fingers.

She already knew on the baby finger, it would be loose as it was on her index itself. So she had one left.

Now that it wouldn't fit, she wanted to wear it badly. She closed her eyes whilst inserting it on the finger that remained, the ring finger.

And it fit, perfectly. It looked mesmerizing on her soft pale hand.

She heard a knock as she began to move out for her meetings. Shivay paced in with a huge pile of papers in his arms.

"Ma'am! These people are-" he pauses in shock. His eyes landed all over her- her dazzling suit, her hair tucked up in a pony hung high, and the ring on her finger. When his eyes fell on it, he just kept starting at it.

"Yes?" Annika snapped her fingers, "My employees, they tend to finish their sentences Shivay."

"Ah-" he looked away slightly flushed, "The Guptas are so damn impatient. I informed them that you'd be here in a few minutes, but they keep pestering me!"

"The Guptas- another rich brat," she murmured, "Come on, otherwise he'll eat me up alive," Annika rushed in so quick that she dashed into the pile of papers Shivay held. The papers flew out of the files, spreading all over the room.

***

They both just stared at each other as the papers flew, "How much money do they pay you?"

Shivay quirked, "For what"

"To make my life a living hell," she began picking up the papers, along with him.

"You're right. Such an important and intense work it is, yet I do it for free!"

"Don't do it then. Go. Leave this job and eat someone else's head."

"I should, shouldn't I?" he teased.

"Yes. I can handle this office without an assistant for a week."

Shivay chuckles, "A month, Ms. Annika Singh Oberoi."